retrobrad
How about the lesser known systems?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sega dreamcast was a flop here in australia which was sad very under rated i think and also hte Commodore CDTV an outstanding system which went nowhere ***astro***
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: How about the lesser known systems Reply with quote

Yeah both the Dreamcast and the CDTV were fairly pricey when they were 1st released this could be one reason why they failed..... Crying or Very sad

Smile tomz Smile
ozzipete

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: How about the lesser known systems Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
Yeah both the Dreamcast and the CDTV were fairly pricey when they were 1st released this could be one reason why they failed..... Crying or Very sad

Smile tomz Smile

And the marketing especially of the DC could have been a whole lot better
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest i don't recall seeing any adverts for the dreamcast back in the day
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember heaps of adverts for the N64, and the radio ads with the big count down to its release...

how long after the N64 was released did the DreamCast come out????
ozzipete

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamcast release dates
Japan - Nov 1998
USA - Sep 1999
Europe - Oct 1999
Aust - Nov 1999
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***astro_boy*** wrote:
to be honest i don't recall seeing any adverts for the dreamcast back in the day

I often shed a tear when I think of the early death the Dreamcast. I found this advert on the back of a Aussie video store magazine.

retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, its pretty sad. it was a great system, but its funny how the most amazing systems, just dont make it...
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I remember ads for the Dreamcast (Australia) and I remember going into Toys R Us and being AMAZED at the graphics (at the time, the only other systems on sale were the N64 and PSone). I also remember thinking how cool the box design and logo was and REALLY wanting one! At the time, it seemed like a really revolutionary console (which it was) with its internet connectivity and keyboard and stuff. It wasn't beaten in the technology stakes until the X-Box 360 came out in 2006! (PS2 and X-Box are slightly inferior technically.)
As for the Commodore console, that would be the C64GS (Games System) which was basically a C64 without the keyboard and only cart-based. It may have been a commercial disaster but it DID lead to a number of GREAT C64 games being released on "Super Cartridges" which are perfectly compatible with any other C64 system. This system is now EXTREMELY collectable (and expensive). The last one which sold on Aussie Ebay went for $430.31!
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel C wrote:
Hey, I remember ads for the Dreamcast (Australia) and I remember going into Toys R Us and being AMAZED at the graphics (at the time, the only other systems on sale were the N64 and PSone). I also remember thinking how cool the box design and logo was and REALLY wanting one! At the time, it seemed like a really revolutionary console (which it was) with its internet connectivity and keyboard and stuff. It wasn't beaten in the technology stakes until the X-Box 360 came out in 2006! (PS2 and X-Box are slightly inferior technically.)
As for the Commodore console, that would be the C64GS (Games System) which was basically a C64 without the keyboard and only cart-based. It may have been a commercial disaster but it DID lead to a number of GREAT C64 games being released on "Super Cartridges" which are perfectly compatible with any other C64 system. This system is now EXTREMELY collectable (and expensive). The last one which sold on Aussie Ebay went for $430.31!

yep, the dreamcast was an amazing console, but its funny how things work out if you dont have game developer backup and great advertising etc...

its a shame that sega has stopped making systems, its an even bigger shame that sony and microsoft are basically the key players these days, when they werent even making any games systems in the 80's Evil or Very Mad

as for the c64gs, i read in retro gamer that they normally sell for around the 40pound mark, (i think they need to update their mag!)
takeshi
novice
novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***astro_boy*** wrote:

they blew all the budget on sponsoring Arsenal and renaming the famous Highbury stadium the 'Dream Arena'. Sounds a little like United's fabled Theater of Dreams, but hey I won't hold that against them...

think it may have even won them the title that year?
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i meant with advertising on television all other system seem to of done it but i still don't recall sega advertising this on tv.
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo Virtual Boy

I think that it looks pretty cool myself and though it failed i`d love to have one in my collection but i guess the games and the unit itself are very hard to come by and expensive!

Anyone here own one of these systems?
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am after an original DIGIBLAST if anyone as one lol. Very cool system basically only released in Europe. Could play games, movies and music and had TV out!

I went to a lecture by one of the developers early this year. Basically it only failed because an American partner company screwed them over.

I think you can by replicas but an original would be cool in a collection
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Nintendo Virtual Boy to sell on Aussie Ebay went for $228.48 + postage on 13/07/07 and that was boxed with five boxed carts. I reckon that's pretty reasonable for a reasonably rare system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> And the rest... All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: