retrobrad
50hz vs 60hz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: 50hz vs 60hz Reply with quote

I don't really understand technically the difference between 50hz and 60hz T.V's can some one explain the differences?. I know a lot of people bitch about having to play Sonic The Hedgehog with black bars at top and bottom of screen or Super Mario World running ??? slower in Pal regions. These are all non issues for me. If I can plug a cart in to to my Pal SNES and its a great game, why worry about regional differences to gameplay/graphics?
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree pete i don't understand it either make no difference as far as i can see
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry grapes not pete
takeshi
novice
novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive heard its just the black bars and a slight difference in speed. Apparently the speed is actually quite noticeable when they are run side by side though!
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather the basic differences are that 50Hz represents 576 lines on the display being updated at 50Hz (iPAL TVs), 60Hz represents 480 lines on the display being updated at 60Hz(NTSC TVs).

So then 50Hz has a clearer definition but updates slower causing blurring of fast moving object, 60Hz has slightly less definition but updates quicker reducing blurring.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixojoe wrote:
From what I gather the basic differences are that 50Hz represents 576 lines on the display being updated at 50Hz (iPAL TVs), 60Hz represents 480 lines on the display being updated at 60Hz(NTSC TVs).

So then 50Hz has a clearer definition but updates slower causing blurring of fast moving object, 60Hz has slightly less definition but updates quicker reducing blurring.

yep thats right, i guess the reason that you get the bars is because the games were originaly released on NTSC systems, then they 'cheat' and put it on pal systems but not running at full pal resolution, so whereas our pal TV's run at 576 lines, the console is displaying only 480 lines.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: 50hz VS 60hz Reply with quote

On PAL Commodore 64s NTSC software would often flicker or not work at all, the problem would often be solved with a FIX on the game code, meaning the timing had been sorted out and adjusted in the code and most of these games would work 100%.

However this problem has been sorted out in most emulators today where either the application will detect the difference and or the user can actually change the settings from PAL to NTSC and vice versa Smile

Smile tomz Smile
ozzipete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 50hz vs 60hz Reply with quote

grapes of gorf wrote:
I don't really understand technically the difference between 50hz and 60hz T.V's can some one explain the differences?. I know a lot of people bitch about having to play Sonic The Hedgehog with black bars at top and bottom of screen or Super Mario World running ??? slower in Pal regions. These are all non issues for me. If I can plug a cart in to to my Pal SNES and its a great game, why worry about regional differences to gameplay/graphics?

Ahahahah that sounds like me LOL I enjoy playing a game without the letterbox and running faster especially sonic Razz
slaanesh
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: 50hz vs 60hz Reply with quote

grapes of gorf wrote:

If you play an NTSC game in PAL mode then you will get the black bars. The game is expecting the smaller NTSC resolution but it's played on the higher PAL res. The other problem is that NTSC games are designed to run at 60hz, that is the screen updates 60 times a second. On a PAL screen it's updating 17% slower - the difference can be noticeable - but usually if you've played both versions.
The other issue is that the aspect ratio becomes slightly different and some graphics can look a bit squashed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> And the rest... All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: