retrobrad
Time for some advertising
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The Annual Retrobrad Retro Games Convention
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Time for some advertising Reply with quote

Ok I know I havent bought my ticket yet (will do so very soon), but its time for some promotion of this event.

I am going to post on some forums I am a member of EAB, Austech and gp32x. If someone else is a member of amiga.org they can do that as I dont like posting there.

I'll provide links to the posts below so you guys can gauge any interest.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=361564#post361564
http://www.austech.info/showthread.php?p=1204438#post1204438
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=38722
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some advertising Reply with quote

THB wrote:
Ok I know I havent bought my ticket yet (will do so very soon), but its time for some promotion of this event.

I am going to post on some forums I am a member of EAB, Austech and gp32x. If someone else is a member of amiga.org they can do that as I dont like posting there.

I'll provide links to the posts below so you guys can gauge any interest.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=361564#post361564
http://www.austech.info/showthread.php?p=1204438#post1204438
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=38722

hey mate, thanks for doing that! the more advertising the better, have you managed to get any interest???
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of guys have expressed interest but I will keep bumping as we get closer to the event.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THB wrote:
A couple of guys have expressed interest but I will keep bumping as we get closer to the event.

thats great! so far there have only been about 9 tickets sold, so the more people the better - first off i have to pay for the venue, then anything left over will be put into prizes Smile
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Brad,
So far I've "telegraphed" around sixty flyers all over inner city Melbourne with more to come. I've also left flyers for people to pick up in a couple of Game Traders stores and Video Games World. Both of these companies sell retro products so I hope we'll get a bit of interest there. Later this week I'm going to go to all the other Game Traders stores (about three others) and leave some there too. Also, I've stuck flyers up on my work's notice board and other community notice boards. Even if all of this only generates another ten ticket sales then my work is done. Hopefully it'll be a lot more though!
Oh yeah, one other thing, Brad! My girlfriend and I have decided to make a weekend of the con' and stay the night in Ballarat at a motel. This means that I can stay ALL day without worrying that my girl will get bored because we'll have accomodation for her to go. I am soooo excited about this!
PS: Do we bring food or will there be a barbie?! That'd be fantastic for after!
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel C wrote:
Hey, Brad,
So far I've "telegraphed" around sixty flyers all over inner city Melbourne with more to come. I've also left flyers for people to pick up in a couple of Game Traders stores and Video Games World. Both of these companies sell retro products so I hope we'll get a bit of interest there. Later this week I'm going to go to all the other Game Traders stores (about three others) and leave some there too. Also, I've stuck flyers up on my work's notice board and other community notice boards. Even if all of this only generates another ten ticket sales then my work is done. Hopefully it'll be a lot more though!
Oh yeah, one other thing, Brad! My girlfriend and I have decided to make a weekend of the con' and stay the night in Ballarat at a motel. This means that I can stay ALL day without worrying that my girl will get bored because we'll have accomodation for her to go. I am soooo excited about this!
PS: Do we bring food or will there be a barbie?! That'd be fantastic for after!

WOW

now thats impressive! thanks very, very, very much for doing that mate, i hope that people will see them all and BUY A TICKET!!!!

at the moment we need about 15 more poeple just to pay for the venue hire!!!! let alone all the prizes....

i keep advertising on ebay, i get a few watchers for the tickets, but no-one buys them? im not really sure what else to do, ive advertised on other forums and also what you guys have been doing = )

It's great to hear that you're soo keen about the event, im getting pretty excited myself as the date draws closer, but it may have to be post-poned unless i can get more tickets sold
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

thanks again for all your hope, and fingers crossed, ill get a few emails this week with people buying tickets!!!!
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah great job Daniel C. That highly commendable Smile

I am going to be buying some ink for my printer this week and i will be posting up around Preston and surrounding areas. I might try and print about 100 flyers out and see where that takes us.

Will give you an update once i get around to it. Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blade002 wrote:
Yeah great job Daniel C. That highly commendable Smile

I am going to be buying some ink for my printer this week and i will be posting up around Preston and surrounding areas. I might try and print about 100 flyers out and see where that takes us.

Will give you an update once i get around to it. Smile

thanks blade! i would put up flyers myself, but i dont even live in Victoria!

Surely with all the work you guys are putting in, people will start to get interested!!!
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any official flyers? If so I could post some up at uni. Also will tickets be available on the door?
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definately coming, will contact you shortly to arrange my ticket. I think the main problem is Ballarat to be honest, its over an hour out of Melbourne so many Melbournians probably wont bother which is a shame.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixojoe wrote:
Do you have any official flyers? If so I could post some up at uni. Also will tickets be available on the door?

you can grab a flyer that i did up (very quickly) but it has all the info on it - click here to download it:

http://retrobrad.com/upload/files/retrobrad%20convention%20flyer.doc

it has a couple of spelling mistakes - so feel free to correct them Smile

i appreciate all the help you guys have been putting in! it wouldnt be taking place if i didnt have you guys on the inside!

-brad

as far as tickets at the door goes, i hadnt planned on it, actually i had planned on selling ALL the tickets prior to the event. but it doesnt look like that is going to happen. at this stage we need about 15 more tickets sold just to cover the venue hire, let alone the prizes. but if we do get around that many sold, ill be 'donating' some of my retro collection as prizes.

if people show up on the day and they want in, then they can buy a ticket, but if i dont get enough sold in the meantime - it will have to be post-poned.
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Brad, Daniel C here. Don't give up, mate! It's still over a month to go and that's plenty of time to sell more tickets. Is there a deadline when you have to pay for the venue? That might make it more tricky unless you're willing to pay for the venue and then hope to recoup your money through future sales. So am I right in saying that the venue hire is around $500.00? As for prizes, I don't think anyone is going just for prizes so don't get too concerned about that. Even if there's only thirty of us on the day, I'm sure that we'll have loads of geeky fun. I know that as the host, you're worried about it being a fizzer but honestly, Brad, we're all pretty like-minded people and will be able to forgive you if it's not the flashy, professional-looking European-style con' that I'm sure you've been dreaming about. Remember, Brad, if you pull this off, the next time will be alot easier and word will get around how fun it was. I don't envy you but I am excited for you! But hey, who knows, we may sell LOADS of tickets in the next few weeks!
ozzipete

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel C wrote:
Hey, Brad, Daniel C here. Don't give up, mate! It's still over a month to go and that's plenty of time to sell more tickets. Is there a deadline when you have to pay for the venue? That might make it more tricky unless you're willing to pay for the venue and then hope to recoup your money through future sales. So am I right in saying that the venue hire is around $500.00? As for prizes, I don't think anyone is going just for prizes so don't get too concerned about that. Even if there's only thirty of us on the day, I'm sure that we'll have loads of geeky fun. I know that as the host, you're worried about it being a fizzer but honestly, Brad, we're all pretty like-minded people and will be able to forgive you if it's not the flashy, professional-looking European-style con' that I'm sure you've been dreaming about. Remember, Brad, if you pull this off, the next time will be alot easier and word will get around how fun it was. I don't envy you but I am excited for you! But hey, who knows, we may sell LOADS of tickets in the next few weeks!

I AGREE TOTALLY ! I THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL TURN UP ON THE DAY AND GET TICKETS AT THE DOOR .. WE WILL MAKE IT WORK
and I am sure that in all honesty people wouldn't or SHOULDNT expect you to give up your own stuff if tickets sales arent as good as planned
I will thow a couple of systems in as prizes too cant promise what they will be but they will be retro!
Pete
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the words of encouragement guys Smile

the venue hire is $380, so we need 19 tickets sold all up to cover the cost of that, then the remaining funds were going to be on prizes and hopefully food and maybe drink for the day.

its a bit of a shame that there isnt too much interest, but im sure things will work out great on the day, and everyone should have a great time! then i think the word might spread, and the second convention will be bigger and better!!!

i want it to be an annual event Smile

thanks very much pete for offering some prizes = ) im quite happy to give up some of my collection and i dont really expect anyone else to have to do that, but i guess we can see what happens! thanks for the offer Wink

well im hoping that this next month, more tickets get sold and hopefully on the day, people will show up as well = )
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the first is always the hardest. I have spread the word around uni. Have you considered a student price for tickets?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The Annual Retrobrad Retro Games Convention All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: