retrobrad
PREDICTIONS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: PREDICTIONS Reply with quote

Arthur C Clarke the famous author wrote about satelites decades before they became a reality, he also predicted then end of mankind by the year 3001. This last prediction although harsh isnt all that far fetched.

Consider this, if our world was to move 3 degrees off its axis, things like electricity wouldnt work properly and with todays advances in tech I can certainly understand some things,one is the fact that as tech advances we become more removed from the knowledge (and speed) of what is happening, take your car for instance, in my 20s (3 decades ago) if a carby played up you fixed it on the road etc. Today if your car breaks down are you going to be able to remove and replace the faulty chip???

What are your thoughs on this?? Confused and similar matters..........

Smile tomz Smile
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with you TOMZ,technology has made us all lazy and dependant.
What happened to the days when men could navigate the world and know where there were from just the position of the stars? instead we rely on sat nav and still get lost Laughing i know for a fact if we lost all this technology and had to go back to living off the land without any creature comforts we wouldn`t survive.

To used to heating,mobile phones,computers,pda`s,TV!!! I honestly think (this is only my opinion) that people don`t live anymore they just exist,the world has changed even in the 20 something years since i was a kid but at least we knew how to have fun,now kids are glued to the computer,consoles or tv. It`s just not healthy.
ozzipete

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha has it summed up.. BRAVO
I live in a small rural community we have 1000 people in the whole district. We only have wood heating, The kids and I cut all the family firewood, as well as dealing with power outs on a regular basis often we have no mobile phone service (which we only got 2 years ago along with Broadband) up until then it was dialup or landline. My kids get outside catch frogs and lizards ride their bikes and do stuff like we did when we were young, which I encourage (I have noticed a lot of young kids these days have no concept of hitting a cricket ball yet they know every level of some x-box game)yet at school they are learning Power Point html java and various other IT based things in preparation for the world that awaits....
I can relate to the carby car scenario we have got a dedicated LPG Ford and a 99 Lancruiser both which can only be tuned / diagnosed by way of a laptop (needless to say joining the RACV Roadside assist is a must)

I believe a lot of city people just dont get the big picture, as you say they have their PDAs and all the other high tech gadgetery but at the end of the day one little stuff up and we all will be .... history.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think technology should have stopped advancing in the 80's. Smile
ozzipete

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrobrad wrote:
I think technology should have stopped advancing in the 80's. Smile

Yep Exclamation Exclamation If it was universal we would all be a lot safer and better off for it granted not as many toys to play with LOL
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: PREDICTIONS Reply with quote

Where are own kids are concerned its up to us to set the rules. I moved from A city (Melb) to a rural enviorment (in NSW) so that my children would grow up in the country. I had rules like "Outside-time'' ?nd at certain times of day my kitchen was shut, and I also kept them all busy with various sporting activities,it paid off in the long run but at the time on many occasions it would have been easier just to let them watch a vid or have time on their game consoles (which of coz they wanted to do all the time)

Maybe its time to educate the next generation of parents...... Rolling Eyes

AS for technology, well we may just end up self-destructing fortunately I wont be around by then assuming that nothing drastic happens in the next 20years or so Wink

Smile tomz Smile
ozzipete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: PREDICTIONS Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
Where are own kids are concerned its up to us to set the rules. I moved from A city (Melb) to a rural enviorment (in NSW) so that my children would grow up in the country. I had rules like "Outside-time'' ?nd at certain times of day my kitchen was shut, and I also kept them all busy with various sporting activities,it paid off in the long run but at the time on many occasions it would have been easier just to let them watch a vid or have time on their game consoles (which of coz they wanted to do all the time)

Maybe its time to educate the next generation of parents...... Rolling Eyes

AS for technology, well we may just end up self-destructing fortunately I wont be around by then assuming that nothing drastic happens in the next 20years or so Wink

Smile tomz Smile

I agree TOMZ my kids get to shoot foxes and bunnies in thier own backyard run around ride motorbikes and generally have fun unfortunately though too many parents today think a DVD is a cheap babysitter. oh I am 42
shit now I do feel old Rolling Eyes
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they even bother with a dvd that is why here in newcastle we have the police picking up 7 year old drunks in the mall
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: PREDICTIONS Reply with quote

Quote:
oh I am 42 shit now I do feel olde

Sigh...wish I was only 42 Crying or Very sad

Smile tomz Smile
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no probs with technology advancing i just wish it wasn`t at the pace it is...you buy a brand new top of the range PC to find within 3 months is out of date.

I`m starting to feel left behind in the techno stakes,now i`m starting to understand how older members of my family felt when they didn`t have a clue how to work a VCR....anyone else feel the same?
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a famous but not very well known experiment not very long ago in W.A. In a very tiny nutshell this is what happened. A computer program was designed with advanced AI to create programs upon demand. In a sense a step to eliminate the need for programmers and a step in being able to tell a machine in a common tongue what it needs to create. After a little while the program itself had some sort of internal thought that it should create programs to create the programs it was designed to create, and it did. These in turn also did the same and in a sense the program kept multiplying at a very fast rate. An academic on in ther program expressed to the audience that they were very lucky that the experiment was conducted on an sealed internal network and not one that could breach the outside digital world!
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixojoe wrote:
there was a famous but not very well known experiment not very long ago in W.A. In a very tiny nutshell this is what happened. A computer program was designed with advanced AI to create programs upon demand. In a sense a step to eliminate the need for programmers and a step in being able to tell a machine in a common tongue what it needs to create. After a little while the program itself had some sort of internal thought that it should create programs to create the programs it was designed to create, and it did. These in turn also did the same and in a sense the program kept multiplying at a very fast rate. An academic on in ther program expressed to the audience that they were very lucky that the experiment was conducted on an sealed internal network and not one that could breach the outside digital world!

now thats where things start to get scary! where computers are that smart that they can reproduce themselves...

you dont see a c64 doing that!
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: PREDICTIONS Reply with quote

Its not all that hard to believe as there have been viruses that replicate themselves, around for 15 + years, and we musnt forget that it was the equivelant of 2 x C64s that took man to the moon. Wink

I know the C64 didnt exist when Armstrong landed on the moon but if it had, would he have been playing LUNAR LANDER?? Laughing

Smile tomz Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: