Playstation 1
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Gmintyfresh
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got very mixed feelings about the PS1, there are some great games on the system. Some of the games have dated really badly (seemingly worse than 2d games on the Snes and Megadrive) due to the advancements in 3D technology. I must admit looking back at that gen of consoles I now prefer the Saturn and the N64, the PS2 is a different matter all together it's still an amazing machine.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Playstation 1 Reply with quote

I have about 30-40 PS1 games plus a heap of demo discs, what strikes me most about the PS1 are the great racing sim games, sure technology has moved on, and yes I do have my share of crappy PS1 games, though not too many, but as far as retro gaming is concerned the PS1 along with my Master System hold a special place for me (and my kids) Smile

Smile tomz Smile
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Tomz/TIDE great driving games like Gran Turismo & Ridge Racer Type 4,still quality games even now. I do like the N64 but i got to be honest i prefer Dreamcast,unlike Gmintyfresh i haven`t got around to owning a Saturn yet but it`s SEGA so i guess i`d like that to.
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that 3D games on the 32-bit consoles look really dated but 2D was at its greatest on the PSone and Saturn! I mainly use my PSone (actually, I hardly ever use my PSone as my PS2 does the job) to play the excellent shmups and platformers. Take Abe's Odyssey and Castlevania: Symphany of the Night. Fantastic platformers! And has anyone played X2? Brilliant shmup! If only everyone hadn't gone wild for 3D in the mid-nineties, there would be a lot more excellent 2D games for these platforms. Sure, they're well sought after now by enthusiasts like ourselves but at the time, people didn't want anything to do with old 2D. There is just something so beautiful about 32-bit 2D visuals coupled with CD quality sound.
Also, I really love the second generation PSone (the little one). It's just such a tidy little unit compared to the bulky Playstation. Even the controllers are slightly different and more aesthetically pleasing than the predecessors. I'd like to get my hands on one of those attachable LCD screens you can get for it but they are rare and getting more expensive all the time. Still, it'd be cool to have a completely portable PSone! "Yeah, that's the PSP". I know, but this would be cooler!
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one other thing.
I think that nowadays a lot of us like the Saturn over the Playstation simply because it was the underdog and Saturn systems and games aren't a dime a dozen like the Playstation. However, whichever way you look at it (from tech specs to marketing), the Playstation was the superior system. A lot of Saturn games are rubbish (especially the 3D ones) but I still like the big, black beast nontheless and play it often, mainly for its excellent 2D games. I just think think that retro gamers like ourselves find the Saturn more aesthetically pleasing, maybe because it's by Sega and maybe we have this notion that it's a more retro system than the PSone. It's strange but true!
slaanesh
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re-poll with PC Engine on the list!!!

I guess I'm the only one who'd vote for it anyway Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> And the rest... All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: