retrobrad
The First Retro Convention has been booked!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The Annual Retrobrad Retro Games Convention
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey looks interesting. I hope you guys have done your homework about the venue and numbers. 50 sounds low considering the circumstances and perhaps $20 too high.

UB TAFE holds a C4-DIP multimedia/games design course and UB Higher Ed (your venue) has a dedicated games stream and also an IT fraternity called SKITS. All these groups may be interested in your convention. But remember that students are generally not well off and prefer to pay for file sharing/pirate days such as LAN X lol

Also Ballarat (just outside) hosts the Australian Computer Games Museum. Greg Howlett operates and he may be keen in participating.
http://computermuseum.bigpondhosting.com/

Also Ballarat hosts some retro gamer greats such as David O'Callaghan and Greg Holland both of whom were graphic artists for Melbourne House during the Exploding Fist and Hobbit days
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixojoe wrote:
Hey looks interesting. I hope you guys have done your homework about the venue and numbers. 50 sounds low considering the circumstances and perhaps $20 too high.

UB TAFE holds a C4-DIP multimedia/games design course and UB Higher Ed (your venue) has a dedicated games stream and also an IT fraternity called SKITS. All these groups may be interested in your convention. But remember that students are generally not well off and prefer to pay for file sharing/pirate days such as LAN X lol

Also Ballarat (just outside) hosts the Australian Computer Games Museum. Greg Howlett operates and he may be keen in participating.

Also Ballarat hosts some retro gamer greats such as David O'Callaghan and Greg Holland both of whom were graphic artists for Melbourne House during the Exploding Fist and Hobbit days

Hi mate, thanks for the info.

Greg howlett aka grapes of gorf, will be coming along and whats more - hes the one providing the arcade cabinets for the event.

I thought $20 would be a pretty decent price - i'm not looking at making any money from the event, just enough to cover the cost of venue hire and any money left over will be put into prizes for the day (door prizes and competition prizes etc...) and also depending on whether we get enough people or not, the money could also go towards cans of drink for the day and possibly even food (maybe strike a deal with dominoes or something like that???)

that would be great if those melbourne house guys would want to come along to the event. any idea of how i could get in contact with them?

- thanks again mate,

-brad
ozzipete

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixojoe wrote:

Hi Mate,
I have been to many a LANX at the uni and as a member of X reckon that Spot, Kyzen and the boys do a great job. But I think the convention is aimed at a different audience, not so much the hardcore PC gamer playing the latest release of counterstike! But old buggers and like minded ppl who still reckon 8 bits rules Embarassed (I cant see two Clolecovisions hooked up with a gigabit connection)
It would be good to have the likes of David O'Callaghan and so on and if any of you guys wanna trade (Hardware) you are more than welcome.
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems. I agree that the markets may be slightly different. But I think you should advertise more at the uni for attendence. There are many game fans few both old and new. I only found out about this by accident when searching eBay for some arcade stuff.

I do agree that Spot, Kyzen and the boys do a great job with LanX, especially with supporting piracy lol ahh me hartey, clean the poop decks.

I would also contact Tim at Dissecta
http://www.dissecta.com.au/
info@dissecta.com
That is a monthly games forum based in Melbourne that has many retro fans and past/present developers attending. He would gladly advertise for you.

Also if you need my help just say as I work as a teacher at both campuses in games design. Would you consider a special price for students?
ozzipete

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piracy Question I have never seen piracy at 'X' Twisted Evil Just a lot of silly little drunk buggers running around LOL Laughing
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, myself and ozzipete are planning on holding some modification workshops at the convention, so if you're new to modding, or would like a good demonstration on how to tinker with your consoles then be sure to check that out on the day!

we can show you mods like, 50/60hz mod and lockout switch mods for a range of consoles (that seems to be what most people want.

also ill show you other simple mods like, how to replace your power led with a different colour one!

oooohhh!
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about tagging along to this, I have some systems I wouldnt mind getting rid of and I dont like evilbay. Also would be great to bring the joystick along and duel it out with some like minded retro folk.

Will there be a table and power available to set up some machines and demonstrate them working before selling/swapping them?

The machines I am thinking of getting rid of are the following: couple of 68k macs with monitors, amiga 2000, couple of CPC464s, vic20, atari *spit* ST, atari XEGS and various consoles/handhelds.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, there will be a dedicated area with tables, power and screens so people can check out the systems Smile
spot
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys thought i would drop in and say wd on getting your retro convention up and running.
i for one know how much work goes into setting up and running one of these type of events,
and i can safely say i will be there with bells on.

i much prefer retro and console gaming miles ahead of pc games.
good thing you guys are providing the service to us who want it.
(i always wanted to, but CS LoLz Hax etc always wins out!!)

mixojoe - i'm not sure you are familiar with what a lan entails - but im pretty sure what x does is standard fare for these type of events.
trust me - we even had a visit by AFACTS.

but as i said - i know i'll be there with out a doubt and can't wait for the SF2, Mario Kart and NBA Jam comps.
they are pretty much my 3 fav games of all time.

plus i plan on spending a huge chunk of my pay cheque there too,
STALL HOLDERS BE WARNED!!

wd guys!!
ozzipete

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onya Spot Exclamation
whiteb
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Location. Reply with quote

Is the convention being held at the University site near the railway station, on Lydiard Street ?

Do you have times yet ?
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its at the Mt.Helen campus I believe
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixojoe wrote:

Yes, thats right and the start time is 9AM!!!!
whiteb
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrobrad wrote:
mixojoe wrote:

Tix have not arrived yet.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiteb wrote:
retrobrad wrote:
mixojoe wrote:

Tix have not arrived yet.

Hi Whiteb, sorry - when and how did you make payment?

could you pm me yoru full name and address so i can get them sent?

Sorry for the delay, but to be honest i just forgot you were getting any...

-brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The Annual Retrobrad Retro Games Convention All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: