Azryl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azryl
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Azryl Reply with quote

Just want to say hello

I'm another aussie who lives in Melbourne

Started in computers 1984 while attending Art & Design course, taught myself programming on Vaxen Mainframe. 1985 bought a Commodore64 and taught myself assembly language and wrote a few demo type programs with sprites etc

1986 bought my first Amiga 500 which had a left commodore key! >anyone remember tho's? < and started to learn assembly language and again write small demo type things using the copper and blitter etc

I worked as a Graphic Designer for an Australian company in Richmond Melbourne that supplied in hotel direct movie sales. They used approximately 350 Amiga 500's and another 300+ Amiga 1200's for the display of multimedia animations and movie selection software.

I was responsible for one the largest Amiga systems usage in Australia, New Zealand and parts of Singapore and Asia. More than 600 Amiga's had my software and graphic updates between 1996-2000

I had to diss-assemble the Amiga 500 movie selection software because the company had lost the original source code. This was to fix the Year2000 bug that plagued the change of date and failed rather spectacularly! Updated the graphics and spent months checking code to finally fix the problem with a change to the Workbench 1.3 date executable >alot of the info supplied by Amiga around that time<

While working for the company also redesigned the Amiga 1200 Scala Multimedia systems to fit inside 19inch rack mount cases. These systems had 8meg fast ram, 44pin ide to 40pin adaptors with internal ZIP disks as the only removeable media (ie no floppy) with a normal 3.5inch harddrive.

I wrote startup batch files to check if a new ZIP was inserted, if so copy all the Multimedia contents off the ZIP disk into the Scala partition and when finished eject the ZIP and reboot the system.

Designed an external reset button for the A1200 similar to those used by towered systems. Just a simple chip socket reversed and pushed/glued onto the keyboard chip. Worked rather well.

Also wrote a small assembly program that linked into the graphic.library's vertical blank interrupt routine that would simply count away the seconds for 24hours then warm reboot the Scala A1200's. Scala would on large Multimedia systems suffer from memory fragmentation and drop graphic frames or sounds. This was a simple fix placed early in the startup-sequence.

I dont do much Amiga assembly code now. I'm learning more on the PC with programs and languages for Director lingo and Flash actionscript. Hate PC's and Microsoft especially Smile

I'm beginning to dig my Amiga's systems out of storage and dust them off and use them once again!

Bought a PCB for Mini-Mig.. just need the soldering skills to build it !

You can find me online at Amiga.org and many other Radio Control aircraft forums like RCgroups.com

Az
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now these are the stories i like to hear!

thanks for the info, its a pretty interesting read! no wonder you have soo many amigas in your collection.

You have given me an idea as well, (about the soldering skills)

I'll have to hold a little 'soldering workshop' at the convention so people can get the basic soldering skills down Smile

then you should have no problem in assembling your mini-mig.

anyway mate, great to have you onboard and look forward to seeing you around the forums!

-brad
ozzipete

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Heart Felt welcome to the forum mate I hope you get as much enjoyment from here as we all do Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Who are you? All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: