retrobrad
Why play Sega?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
takeshi
novice
novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Why play Sega? Reply with quote

I'm not posting this thread to antagonise, ridicule or encourage tired debate over my 'brand's better than your brand!' , but merely to help me understand how it is that there are still so many Sega fans out there.

I'm just wondering what the real appeal about the company is (up until Dreamcast) and what games you could honestly say are better in any respects than those counterparts released by Nintendo at the same time.

The truth is, compare any two games released on the same system (Master System v NES) and Mega Drive vs Snes, and it is clear that the snes/nes one plays and looks better (without exception.) Then the argument that generally follows is, but we had sega only games that were indeed great. Well, in most cases the sega exclusive games that are put forward as classics, are really far from it.

Sonic was nice, but everyone just says its great because of the speed bits, which are essentially watching the screen move really fast without actually doing anything. the rest of the game is just a solid platformer.

Street of Rage? C'mon, final fight (s)(and to a lesser extent Rival Turf) were far more solid to play, and looked better to boot.

Altered Beast? C'mon.....

Is it because growing up you only had access to one system, and therefore the sheer happiness brought about by memories and nostaliga make the games great? (and nintendo ones not so ?)

Please help, and tell me some games to play that might change my opinion!!!
Ike
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Dragon on the Nes was pretty bad and was alot better on the Master System, Graphics and gameplay. The Nes version only had one player (Should of been called Single Dragon) when the SMS version was a 2 player game .The MS version had more enemies on screen and sound was also better.

Final Fantasy(Nes) vs Phantasy Star (SMS)
Many people would agree with me that Phantasy Star not only played better than FF1 but PS also looked fantastic for a 8 Bit game.

Final Fight on the Snes was a disgrace is it didn't have all the levels and only 2 characters. Sega CD verson had all levels and all 3 characters. Streets of Rage 2 blowed both versions away.

I could go on!! and yes it works in reverse, Wasn't a big fan of the nes I stuck to my C64, loved the Snes though, but in the end it just comes down to what you were brought up with. I was brought up with my C64 and sega consoles.

Bye for now
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i guess i could say the same for Mario on Nintendo. To me it was just over rated crap, but to a lot of other people, it was great!.

We all had the "My machine is better than yours debate" over the years. C64 vs Spectrum, Atari ST vs Amiga .. etc..

Personally, i think Ike has hit it right on the money. These are the systems we grew up with, which were for me the Atari 2600, CBS Colecovision, C64 & Amiga.

For me the C64 & Amiga were the greatest machines out there at ANY time in 80's and 90's.

Consoles never really attracted me that much, because you couldn't really do much with them, plus the games were not really as varied as on Computer platforms, such as Adventure games, RPG's ..etc.. plus sonics wise, the SID chip in the C64 out shone the NES, and Paula Chip in the Amiga, although only an 8 bit chip was still pumping some seriously better game tunes than the consoles.

Oh Oh.. i think i have written too much! Smile ... Don't get me wrong though, the Sega Megadrive and SNES are kick arse machines!!. especially the SNES, that thing had some serious technical tricks up its sleave, especially Mode 7 Smile
takeshi
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great replies, thanks for giving me some food for thought!

is there a mega cd emulator? would love to see some more ff levels!
takeshi
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simultaneous i presume....

Ike
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird it shows a 2 player option when it's only one player on screen!!
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takeshi: Try Shadow Dancer on the SMS and find anything on the NES that even comes remotely close to that. I still cant believe that is an SMS game.

Nintendo third party developers loved to spit on arcade games and make a game so different it had nothing to do with the original except the name.

Also look at the years most NES "so called classics" were released and then look at what other people were playing at the time, for example while people were playing NES games down here I had an Amiga. The NES was so far behind it was laughable. At least the SMS gave it a shot with some very ambitious 8-bit games. Nintendo's third party developers werent even trying, they just wanted to pump games out and take advantage of the large user base of "mostly clueless" gamers.
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THB wrote:

Nintendo third party developers loved to spit on arcade games and make a game so different it had nothing to do with the original except the name.

Also look at the years most NES "so called classics" were released and then look at what other people were playing at the time, for example while people were playing NES games down here I had an Amiga. The NES was so far behind it was laughable. At least the SMS gave it a shot with some very ambitious 8-bit games. Nintendo's third party developers werent even trying, they just wanted to pump games out and take advantage of the large user base of "mostly clueless" gamers.

Exactly right THB. The formative years of the C64 and the Amiga, absolutely blew everything else away at the time!. Americans in general were always and have always been extremely naive gamers, and it would always astound me years ago that people would chose an NES over a C64 ( i guess the NES was cheaper at the time though ), and the Amiga was absolutely 10 years ahead of anything on the market in 1985.

What is good about this event though, is that we will all get a chance to see and play the games from so many different systems, that we will be able to compare and contrast the differences. It will be fun Smile
Ike
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say the Nes was crap or anything because I did love Mario 2 and 3. Had heaps of fun with them but don't know if would get shot for this but I think Wonderboy 3 the Dragons Trap blew anything the Nes could do. It had Graphics that no other 8 bit machine could compare with and the game was amazing. Wonderboy in Monsterland was another landmark game pretty much arcade perfect.

Last edited by Ike on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ike wrote:
I wouldn't say the Nes was a crap or anything because I did love Mario 2 and 3. Had heaps of fun with them but don't know if would get shot for this but I think Wonderboy 3 the Dragons Trap blew anything the Nes could do. It had Graphics that no other 8 bit machine could compare with and the game was amazing. Wonderboy in Monsterland was another landmark game pretty much arcade perfect.

I just had a look at Wonderboy 3 the Dragons Trap for the Master System on YouTube and damn it really has got great graphics. Very nice gameplay too.. plays very similar to Part 2 which i like. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Narly Nintendo! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: