retrobrad
Games that are underrated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Games that are underrated Reply with quote

SWIV is an awesome shooter for the AMIGA. The sound effects in the game are outstanding especially the explosions. I remember playing the game through my stereo, turning it up to the max and getting blown away. SWIV is not mentioned much, most of the great shooters were programmed in Japan. I think SWIV was programmed in the west? it's underrated and one of my fave shoot 'em ups.

Robocop 3 also appeared on the Amiga. Most of the levels of the game are presented in 1st person perspective. Robocop 3 was the first "action" game in 3d game that I really enjoyed. The sound track is very atmospheric and graphics scroll at a reasonable pace. Aiming with the mouse was super accurate (Much more accurate than shooting in Doom and Wolfenstein) No one seems to consider Robocop 3 in the evolution of the FPS genre and I think that's unjust. The PC version of robo3 sucked ar*e.

I also want to mention a cool little Arcade game that I have been playing lately named Juno First. It's a shooter that came out about the same time as Galaga. Juno uses forced perspective similar to Exerion. It's a cool game that you should check out.

Tell us about games you think are underrated.
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWIV was supposed to be a sequel to silkworm which iirc is Japanese. Although I am sure SWIV is a western game. Great game though.

I also agree on Robocop 3, that game really pushed what an a500 and indeed the atari ST could do. When I saw the console robocop 3s and how they just went for your standard cash in platformer, I couldnt help but laugh at how lame they were.

My underated game list would probably include Stunt car racer and RVF honda on the Amiga/ST. Both great racing games while console heads were playing rad racer or some crap.

Carrier Command would also rank highly, also on the Amiga/ST. I friggin love that game, so immersive and the atmosphere was great, out on the high seas alone knowing that somewhere there was an enemy carrier closing in on your position. The PC version had the added extra of speeding up time so your voyages to the islands didnt take so long.

Sly Spy secret agent is a game I chucked on blades amiga at the retro con. I spent a lot of time on a holiday pumping money into the arcade version and always thought the Amiga/ST conversion was top notch. I watched a movie recently called shoot em up, over all the movie was crap but there was a scene where he jumps out of a plane with a parachute and shoots other parachuters on his way down which instantly reminded me of the Sly Spy parachute section.

I am rambling on now... Wink
Ike
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Stunt Car Racer on the C64, but I think Shinobi and Wonderboy in Monsterland were the most underated games ever I think. Also Black Tiger by Capcom. Oh and led Storm on the C64. I could go on!!!!
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Games that are underrated Reply with quote

SWIV was an awesome game both on Amiga and C64. The enriched Amiga capabilities added a new dimension on an already fantastic C64 game, how could it not succeed as an all time great?

But then even the earlier versions (Silkworm) have become classic retro games on both formats.

What I used to like about some of these early ports of C64 games to Amiga was that the original gameplay was never really lost(just some nice extras were to be found),and I think this original gameplay was what made these games so popular,whatever format they are enjoyed on.

Smile tomz Smile
Ike
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 100% right Tomz, but I did always enjoy SIlkworm alot more though. I remember playing it heaps on my C64 and them my mate ended up buying a Amiga!! I can still remember how the explosions sounded on the Amiga, Bloodly unbelievable.
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice topic you brought up here Grapes. Cool

SWIV to me is an all great!. I saw the magazine reviews when it came out, so i went straight down to ( Kev's computer shop .. aka Another World .. THB knows these guys Smile ), and paid my $69.95 for the game ( yep, i still remember what it cost me ).

When i got it home and smelled that nice fresh new game smell when i opened the box, i plonked it into my then very white and very new A500 1.3 kickstart and loaded that baby up!. Straight away the music had me going!, with its ominous undertones, and apocalyptic theme ( a very 90's thing wasn't it ..lol ).

My brother wasn't actually home at the time when i bought it because he was doing shift work.. at the time in 1991 he would have been about 22, and i was about 17... So here was me till early in the morning with no sleep totally engrossed with the game and shitting myself whenever that Laser Canon boss would shoot ( I told some of you guys that day, it used to scare me .. lol ).

Anyway, by this time my mum had got up to go to work, so i pumped the sound right up!. Then my brother came home, and walked into the room asking what hell is that sound!?, but in an impressed way Smile ... when he saw the game, his first words were "What the FUCK IS THIS !!!! .... Wooooowwww Maaaaan!!!!!, give me a fucking shot!!!, Check it out!!!!!".. hehehehehe...

From that day onwards everyday that he came home without fail ( i was unemployed, it was the 1990 recession ) he would ask me, what percent are you now !?!?!?!?!?.. as in how far had i progressed ? The game had him as captivated as it had me, and this was coming from brother for whom the greatest pinnacle of gaming for him was either Lunar Lander, Galaxian, Galaga or Centaur the pinball machine ( arcade versions ).

They were ALL great games yes, but for the new breed, the 90's Spawned a new era of Home Classics, and i for one have some very sweet and fond memories of SWIV.

There is another game that i think was severely under rated, but i will write about that more later. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> And the rest... All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: