retrobrad
Warning On Outside Links

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozzipete

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Warning On Outside Links Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Just a note to warn you all to be careful clicking on outside hot links especially Tinyurl and so on. When you mouse over the link check where it's to, BEFORE CLICKING
I have deleted several posts supposedly to free stuff at Amazon etc
These links can be potentially dangerous
Phishing sites and or other nasties. But most of all seeing we are getting a large number of innappropriate posts of late... KEEP YOUR ANTIVIRUS AND FIREWALL SOFTWARE UP TO DATE !
Pete Exclamation
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Warning On Outside Links Reply with quote

ozzipete wrote:
Hi Guys
Just a note to warn you all to be careful clicking on outside hot links especially Tinyurl and so on. When you mouse over the link check where it's to, BEFORE CLICKING
I have deleted several posts supposedly to free stuff at Amazon etc
These links can be potentially dangerous
Phishing sites and or other nasties. But most of all seeing we are getting a large number of innappropriate posts of late... KEEP YOUR ANTIVIRUS AND FIREWALL SOFTWARE UP TO DATE !
Pete Exclamation

Yep, thats some good advice.

It's just a shame that you get people without morals and without lives that feel the need to post their junk on other people forums, WHERE IT IS NOT WANTED!
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Warning on Outside links Reply with quote

Its really annoying and its become everyday computer life, if you suddenly notice IE behaving oddly then it may be so infected that you may find yourself reinstalling IE again as in severe cases this maybe your only remedy, thanx for that warning Ozziepete, it never hurts to be too careful where the internet is concerned......... Wink

Smile tomz Smile
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firefox and avg are a step in the right direction
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Warning on Outside links Reply with quote

Yeah Steven AVG is very efficient and does its job well,I cant comment on firefox as I dont use it,I use SlimBrowser over IE. Smile

Smile tomz Smile
ozzipete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep just run a really good firewall/router set up as well and you are half way there any outside request usually gets routed to a dummy IP here anyway Wink
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Warning on Outside links Reply with quote

Even with all the care in the world theres still no guarantees, I just picked up a new (to me) virus which cuts you off the NET, as far as I can tell it attacks IE but it does it in a subtle way,you logon eg GMAIL and 20 secs after you are into your mail it just disengages IE,you can load it again but same results once you have reached any site, 20 seconds later you are left staring at your desktop,and as nice as my desktop is, it makes it impossible to do any sort of surfing.

RESULT: Reinstalling XP now, but losing all my updates etc. Crying or Very sad

AH the joys of P2P Wink

Smile tomz Smile
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new virus have just emerged in the last few days. Very dangerous destroys your hard disk. If you receive any emails about Bin Laden being hung or anything else relating to him do not open regards Steve (astro)
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be safe with Linux ( hopefully )
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Warning on Outside Links Reply with quote

Another interesting Killer Virus emerged in the last few days. Got an email from both Microsoft and Norton. This new virus comes in the form of an attachment that is called BEAUTIFUL LIFE, and if you open it, it tottaly kills your HDD but not only that, your emails and Passwords are also ripped off and the message within this virus reads..........

Your Life Is Mine

And both Ms and Norton admit there is no protection for this virus as yet as none of their anti-virus applications are able to detect it let alone deal with it.So rule of thumb here is if you get an email from someone you never heard from (dont know) then just delete the bastard, if its really important they can always use a telephone to ctx you.

Smile tomz Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: