retrobrad
If you are serious about building a nice 1200

View previous topic :: View next topic  
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: If you are serious about building a nice 1200 Reply with quote

You need to buy this accelerator.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BLIZZARD-1230-IV-Turbo-Board-for-AMIGA-1200-A1200_W0QQitemZ250207910027QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4598QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This auction is not mine and yes the price is a little high. But if you are serious about building a nice whdload amiga you need this card. It is the most reliable 1230 card you will find. Without the additional SCSI module you can expand the memory to 128mb. With the scsi module you can go to 256mb.

I have 96mb in mine with the scsi module.

My advice is get it now and worry about sourcing a 1200 later if you dont already have one. This will give you an absolutely perfect whdload experience.

edit: It is an 030 card clocked at 50mHz.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my experience - $150 seems like a good price (but it will most definately go up...)

Heres a question:

if you were to get an a1200 with this accelerator - what would the equivalent be as far as a PC goes? something like a 486DX? an early pentium?

can anyone shed some light on this? id be very keen to know!
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really hard to compare the two because of different operating systems and the 486 had superior graphics capabilities at the time due to third party graphics cards. The architecture is just too different. This is by no means the fastest amiga accelerator you can get but for whdload gaming and general amiga usage it is perfect. You will struggle to find a whdload amiga game that does not use RTG that will not work with this.

I have a feeling it will top out at about $180. There is a mkII version of the same card going for $199 that will not sell. Go for the mkIV if you can.
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blizzard 030/50 is the card i have in my A1200. I have had it since 1996 and its a flawless beautiful piece of technology. It made such a difference to my 1200 back then, and as THB said, its THE card to have for WHDLoad!.

Well worth the asking price on ebay Smile
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THB wrote:
Its really hard to compare the two because of different operating systems and the 486 had superior graphics capabilities at the time due to third party graphics cards. The architecture is just too different. This is by no means the fastest amiga accelerator you can get but for whdload gaming and general amiga usage it is perfect. You will struggle to find a whdload amiga game that does not use RTG that will not work with this.

I have a feeling it will top out at about $180. There is a mkII version of the same card going for $199 that will not sell. Go for the mkIV if you can.

I don''t think Video Cards were exactly on everyones lips back then THB, it was more to do with raw processing power, in my opinion, it actually wasn't really until the very late 90's that the Video Card market started making inroads, so at the time of the Blizzards release it was still a formidable card, although there "was" Pentium 100 CPU's at the time that kind of left the Amiga ( CPU wise ) in the dust, but i would say it was comparable to a 486 DX66 CPU.

I remember running Doom ( once someone got hold of the source code and put it on Amiga ) on my 030/50 and it ran silky smooth full screen. So .... ???.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> All about Amiga! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: