retrobrad
Aiwa Mega CD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Aiwa Mega CD Reply with quote

The days of the megadrive were long,in order to survive Sega allowed 3rd party systems to be built. This has got to be the holy grail of the Megadrive! only ever released in Japan and only in limited numbers.

What self respecting collector could do without this in their collection. Aiwa CSD-G1M Megadrive / MegaCD

Their were so many variations of the megadrive,i was surprised myself! so here is a little list of a few of them.

Pioneer LaserActive with Mega Drive module
The TeraDrive
Amstrad Mega PC

Has anyone owned / own any of the following systems? and would they be worth adding to your collection?
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats really cool, all it needs is an inbuilt tv and it would be complete!

My friend used to have a mega-pc, which i thought was great (this was over 10 years ago now)

you would slide a plastic covering to the left or right on the main unit to select either to play the megadrive, or pc.

it had the best most crisp graphics ive seen on a megadrive!
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s amazing what things they combine!! but Brad would you consider adding any of the above to your collection? not sure i would as i think once you own a megadrive why would you want so many different variations of it.

I guess the only thing i`d consider adding to the colly would be the Amstrad Mega PC but i guess they would be like gold dust to
ozzipete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a relly cool find Misha I have never seen one of those before or more to the point heard of it .. How was your holiday Misha ?
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ozzipete yeah holiday was fine until it was cut short! don`t worry i knew it was happening...price you pay for being a chef and having a big party to feed

Yeah was a good find,was surprised just how far SEGA went to prolong the life of the megadrive,megadrive is still kind of going well about 3 years ago anyway....remember the tv systems that you could play Sonic and various other sega classics,think you got 6 games built in.
ozzipete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I do remember those TVs Grapes (greg) an I were talking about them not all that long ago .. The name of them is on the tip of my tongue... um I will remember soon LOL
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can`t remember what they were called,only know of their existance because my nieces had one of them for christmas one year. They would`nt hold long lasting appeal for us though as we like the real thing.

Remember to be this good takes AGES!
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mega Drive controllers with six games built in and an AV cable are by a company called Radica. My local K-Mart still sells them for about $30.00 a pop. There's also a Street Fighter 2 version which has a few Street Fighter games built in (obviously).
Oh and Misha, just because you have one version of a system it doesn't mean that you shouldn't get all the other variations. After all, most retro games can be played on emulator but that doesn't mean that we don't track down the original systems. Anyway, emulators suck! I have a pretty large collection (if I do say so myself) but probably play with only a fraction of it. I think what I most admire are the objects themselves which is why I like to collect ALL versions of various systems. Sure, buying a Commodore 64GS is pretty superfluous as I can play C64 carts on any old C64 in my collection but wouldn't it just be perfect! Unfortunately I can only dream! I think I would probably call myself a collector first and a gamer second but hey, others have their priorities around the other way and why not?!
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Daniel C

Yeah i kind of agree with what you are saying as i`m finding out the deeper i get into collecting,the key difference with me and many others though is we started off as hardcore gamers before we became collectors.

It`s like some collectors won`t collect the modern systems because they
are not to be considered as retro,i do because i believe once one system is replaced by the next (ie Xbox 2 Xbox 360) then they are retro,it works out as well that once this has happened it`s the best time to buy because the prices are reasonable.
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:

i believe once one system is replaced by the next (ie Xbox 2 Xbox 360) then they are retro,it works out as well that once this has happened it`s the best time to buy because the prices are reasonable.

That's a great way to go and so true. I just spent about $80(Au) getting a poster framed for a game on a current gen platform. A lot of people would think, hey thats a waste of money. But I am just thinking 15 years down the track, that poster might be the pride of my collection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> And the rest... All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: