retrobrad
Cracks - Pros and Cons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Crazy about Commodore!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like Cracked games instead of originals (come on be honest now)
I only like cracked games
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I only like Original games
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
I would buy the original even if I have the cracked version
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
I probably would not buy the original if I already had the cracked version
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Cracks - Pros and Cons Reply with quote

For years the argument that the spreading of Cracks of new games is what killed off the C64, as C64 software makers/houses moved onto other platforms (usually higher,like Amiga or PC) and in part I agree with this,but having said that, I have often wondered why on earth didnt the game makers of the day put trainers in their new games,some games were near impossible to finish,you might get to level 5 if you were really good,sadly the other 145 levels you never got to see....

To me this is just bad programming because you will always have a certain percentage of people playing the game who can only play it to a certain level,as you own the whole game you should be entitled to see the ending(luckily for us Vinny (ex Hackersoft) in the UK has a site that deals with endings to C64 games.

Even Sega on the cartridge game console (Master System) had codes in their games that would activate a trainer or two now why didnt the C64 game makers have the same foresight? This too is part of the downfall.

I own many Cracks as well as Original software,sure get hold of the Crack but if you enjoy the game,well buy it!

Whats your opinion or experience in this area.?

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we first had our C64 i was pretty young (about 6 or 7 years old) we had piles and piles of copied disks and you would load them up and it would come up with the 'cracked by' screen - i never knew what it meant though - i just wanted to play a game = )

but now you mention it there were loads and loads of cracked games and it would have had a huge impact on the developers, so i guess i would have purchased the game if i played it quite a bit, after all they did put in the effort to make the game...
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i`ve had loads of cracked games over the years, yeah i`ve not felt guilty because alot of software houses can deal with a small amount of copied games floating around,if i like the game though i will buy the original, i know it would seem to others that i have no morals but i do....i`ve always believed in supporting shareware if it`s good enough and would be happy to hand over money for great games such as Warblade & Deluxe Pocmon.

SUPPORT SHAREWARE!!!!!

I guess the whole piracy issue is a double edged sword,games have become increasingly more expensive over the years so people copy them & crack them,alot of copies flood the market which means people don`t buy the original,hence the fact that newer games then come out with an increased price tag to try and prevent developers & Production Teams from loosing money.

I wonder how many of us are guilty of or responsible for great software houses going out of business,there were some great developers knocking around on the Amiga in it`s hay day but so many went bust to. Crying or Very sad
jungle ninja
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, nowadays that I have the money for it, I would buy the games I really liked and the ones I didn't I would have cracked ones or in the case of the pc, downloaded ones or copies.

But in the day, I didn't have much money to go round. Well my parents did, but they only gave a small allowance, so I would not become a money lover. So the most of my games where cracked versions. But I did and still do own a lot of original ones. I would get many for birthdays, christmass and when I saved money I would buy many. So I did have a vast collection of original games, but yes, I agree, most games needed a trainer. But I like original ones better, because I do support good games, but most games today the day are crap commercial s..t! Sorry for that.
ozzipete

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit funny I have heaps of originals that I have stored away for safe keeping I find that if its a good game rather than play the original to death I will try and grab a cracked ver, rom or rip of it.
Like the old saying learn the three R's
RENT it
RIP it
RETURN it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Crazy about Commodore! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: