retrobrad
Has anybody tried out the AROS operating system?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Has anybody tried out the AROS operating system? Reply with quote

Ive downloaded the AROS operating system which is open source.

basically they are working on an operating system to run on most computers and it works just like Amiga os 3.1, its looking pretty cool so far, has anyboy else checked it out?

heres the link:

http://aros.sourceforge.net/introduction/index.php
jungle ninja
novice
novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did once, was a time ago. I liked it, but whent over to using Cloanto's. Just for the ease. But it should be well for everyone.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Has anyone tried out the Aros operating system? Reply with quote

Yes it was fairly nice for use on a PC but you cant beat the real Workbench Wink

Smile tomz Smile
jungle ninja
novice
novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried out the Aros operating system? Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
Yes it was fairly nice for use on a PC but you cant beat the real Workbench Wink

Smile tomz Smile

And thats the truth! Very Happy
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Has anyone tried out the Aros operating system? Reply with quote

@-JungleNinja- I use Workbench on one of my (2) PCs and its almost identical to the one on the AMIGA. sadly my copy is a crack. Shame tom shame Embarassed

(but not enough to stop me using it Laughing )

That AROS operating system is interesting enough but I feel it still needs further development to make it compete with some of the LINUX applications out there already Wink

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried out the Aros operating system? Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
@-JungleNinja- I use Workbench on one of my (2) PCs and its almost identical to the one on the AMIGA. sadly my copy is a crack. Shame tom shame Embarassed

(but not enough to stop me using it Laughing )

That AROS operating system is interesting enough but I feel it still needs further development to make it compete with some of the LINUX applications out there already Wink

Smile tomz Smile

what workbench are you talking about? do you mean a theme or emulator?

AROS has been coming along pretty slowly, but thats because there a few active developers for it Sad
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Has anyone tried out the Aros operating system? Reply with quote

The workbench I use on my PC is one done by some Amiga dudes I can dig thru my discs and send U a copy Brad, it looks and acts the same on PC as it does on the Amiga without any extra bells or whistles, good when you want to transfer files around your system (WantKN0MORE PM me Smile )

Extras are things like choosing colour settings and not much more Sad
You still get the split screen 50/50 but I guess in answering your question YES its THEME

Smile tomz Smile
mihcael
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following AROS for a while and i test out the nightly builds quite often, tried to port some stuff, but.... maybe next time!!

I have put together a couple of GUI themes (based on XP Embarassed ) but currently working on a completly new theme, should be a bit out there if i can get it to work!!!

In General......
2 major developments with aros have reently begun.....
- UAE Integration, a dev has recently started work on integrating UAE into aros in an effort to make 68K apps run seamlessly, don't know how far this wil go, but if it gets to a point where WinUAE on top of Windows is no longer required.. then Very Happy

- Webkit Port, the thing every amiga has lacked for years, upto date browser, a Melbourne guy is currently working on this, will be huge when its done!!

and 64bit AROS is nearing completion also!!!
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Has anybody tried the AROS Operating system? Reply with quote

How about a link to this Melbournes Guys site...(if he has one?) this may be of interst to for of us Smile

CAMMY where R U ??? How about an update?

Smile tomz Smile
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Amiga OS4 finally got released on the 30th of November, and even though its brilliant, you need a PPC accelerator to run it, and getting one of those for your Amiga these days is about as likely as me flying to moon by flapping my arms.

You can find PPC boards on Ebay, but they usually go for around the $700 mark !!!!! Shocked

Anyway, here is the link to OS4 ... I haven't tried AROS yet though, but i have definately heard of it before.
http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4084
mihcael
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anybody tried the AROS Operating system? Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
How about a link to this Melbournes Guys site...(if he has one?) this may be of interst to for of us Smile

CAMMY where R U ??? How about an update?

Smile tomz Smile

Robs Blog! http://cataclysm.cx/ definitely an interesting read!!

For more info check out The AROS Show and http://aros.sourceforge.net/

if you wanna try it out in a more usable state, try vmwAROS for a configured image to run under virtual machine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> All about Amiga! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: