retrobrad
THE VERY FIRST TIME YOU SAW A COMMODORE 64, WHAT WAS IT LIKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Crazy about Commodore!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: THE VERY FIRST TIME YOU SAW A COMMODORE 64, WHAT WAS IT LIKE Reply with quote

Some of you may have gone thru this,what was it like the very first time you saw a Commodore 64 computer? Was it a friends place playing a game maybe? Or was it in a store window? We all have had different experiences,what was your experience? What was your connection,how did you come across the C64? Tell us about your own experience of this lil 8 bit machine, and how you came to be familiar with it.

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good question.

I was quite young when we first got our C64. I think my mum and dad came back from Hong Kong with it. It was actually a c64/128 - the rolls royce!

I just remember asking my dad how to load games, he wrote it down on a piece of paper for me

LOAD"*",8,1

and I have never forgotten...
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: THE VERY FIRST TIME YOU SAW A COMMODORE 64 WHAT WAS IT LIKE? Reply with quote

My little brother gave me his C64 when he bought the very 1st Amiga that came out. He also gave me 1000+ games on diisks, half of which were cracks with trainers etc. Apperantly he wasnt as innocent as I thoght he was, he had a mate in Bentleigh, Melbourne ,VICTORIA who used to crack+import C64 games, he used the handle THE WARLORD and he was very active in the early to late 80s.

I loved everything about the machine from my first contact with it,I was tottaly blown away with the capabilities of this little 8 bit machine,this was a real computer and although PCs existed in a small way this to me was the future, sound ,colour and music. The Commodore Computer, and I guess this also applies to its big brother the Amiga.I was there when the world changed.And Im mighty grateful,for that bit of good fortune.

My kids have grown up with these computers, 2 of them were even members of TIDE (my scene group)with their own handle/nick (which I took over and rebuilt in 1995. ) The thing about the C64 (and I guess this also applies to all our other fave consoles) was that it brought us all together, we all sat and played in front of a single screen. Unforunately as PCs are sed today,they have a tendancy to make us insular, this is not good in my book, but everyone has their own opinion on this, after all one person (apart from JC) cannot change this world, and what its becoming today.

Ive seen the Xbox360,played a game on a PS3,watched my friends use a Wii with some virtual attachments, and as great as some of this may seem, for me, well Im lost in a retroworld a world where I used to get some disks in the mail, there would be a nice note in there from the mega swapper/coder/artist/whoever as well as some latest Pal/Ntsc releases, and feel smug in the knowledge that some of these games were not even in the shops yet, here in OZ.

Even today in 2009, the C64 is a good machine to learn Basic and Assembler Programming on.On the PC the only other application(what Im realy saying here is program....sorry....lol) that I have used is DARK BASIC a handy lil thing for making relatively acceptable games on the PC, you know the kind that rely on Bitmap graphics,rolling screen boring boring ha ha.

Okay Ive said more than enough. I will shutup now (cheers and loud applause from those reading this in the background) Wink

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you're talking about!

Video game systems and the games themselves have come a LONG way. but just as you said, it just doesn't feel the same. Something is missing.

Maybe it's because the games just give you everything - you no longer need to use your imagination.

It's something that I can't quite put my finger on but its retro games all the way for me!
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was about 6 and we were visiting one of my mothers friends in Wauchope and i first used a commodore 64. remember playing blackjack and bmx bandits i think? too long ago
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***astro_boy*** wrote:
i was about 6 and we were visiting one of my mothers friends in Wauchope and i first used a commodore 64. remember playing blackjack and bmx bandits i think? too long ago

You're 12 now though right?
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes at heart
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***astro_boy*** wrote:
yes at heart

he he Very Happy
Ike
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far out I thought this site was gone forever. Tomz told me it was back. Well the first time I saw a C64 was in I'd say '86 at a friends house from primary school. I remember playing a game called Back to Reality (I thought was unreal at that time) and the classic Wizard Of War. Oh the memories!!!
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ike, good to hear your voice! (well, good to see your text)

Ahh, you mean Wizard of WOR

What a great, great game. We had it as a cartridge, such simple atari like graphics but fantastic gameplay.
Ike
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the one!!!
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: THE VERY FIRST TIME YOU SAW A COMMODORE 64 WHAT WAS IT LIKE? Reply with quote

Yeah IKE, the gfx were extra-ordinary but the games playability wasnt, which made it addictive.

Off topic but still related gamewise, I used to spend,what I thought was a lot (at the time) playing games, but todays kids spend a lot more time playing games, mostly due to games being played longer in order to be completed, I wonder if this is good or bad Question
Most retro games can be enjoyed for a couple of hours then be switched off (even if reluctantly Laughing ) by that time you would have completed several levels ,possibly the game,picked heaps of tokens and or bonuses etc etc
On todays average PC game you might have completed 2 levels but of coz missed several bonuses/ hidden walls/ whatever, so you havent seen all to see in all levels..................

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thats my point exactly tomz!

I find (as you find) that games these days take up alot of your time. You find that you actually HAVE to put in so much time to get somewhere in the game or to keep up with other people (online games)

I like retro games because you can pick it up, play with some simple cartoon graphics and then put it down 15 minutes later. It shouldnt be a chore to play games!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Crazy about Commodore! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: