retrobrad
What Was Your First Computer????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: What Was Your First Computer???? Reply with quote

I was just thinking about the first computer i ever owned and was wondering what the rest of you guys first computer was.....Mine was the Sinclair ZX81 but then i`m an old guy Laughing i don`t expect anyone else to have owned one of these on the forum but i might be surprised.

Here`s a link incase anyone doesn`t know what one is :-

http://oldcomputers.net/zx81.html

was pretty basic system,i wonder if any of you guys has one in your retro collection,i hope not Laughing but it would be a find if anyone has one.
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the C-64 for me, I told my parents that it would help with my school work but I really wanted it to play games.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grapes of gorf wrote:
It was the C-64 for me, I told my parents that it would help with my school work but I really wanted it to play games.

The first computer that i bought with my own money would be an Amiga 500 and i loved it!

i only had an old tv to connect it to but it was perfect for playing all those great Amiga games, i managed to get a 512k ram expansion from BigW, it was in a bargain bin for $20.

good times Smile Smile Smile
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really have a part-time job until my first year in high school so I couldn't pay for a computer till then. I was able to buy a Megadrive and later I got a second hand Amiga 500. I have always hoarded gaming devices I still have the Arcadia that was given to me as a kid.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grapes of gorf wrote:
I didn't really have a part-time job until my first year in high school so I couldn't pay for a computer till then. I was able to buy a Megadrive and later I got a second hand Amiga 500. I have always hoarded gaming devices I still have the Arcadia that was given to me as a kid.

i wish i had kept all my old systems, instead of just selling them.

it would be great to know that ive had the same amiga 500 for over 15 years!
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoarding can be dangerous though, sometimes I think why do I need all of this crap. I know this guy in Ballarat who owns a shed that runs for a whole block he will not throw anything out and he has isles of old photocopiers stacked to the roof (crazy) he lives in the shed with his cats. Hoarding is a brain disease.
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Hoarding can be fun to it`s only dangerous when it takes over your life,for example if i had as much gear as brad (nice games room by the way!!) i`d be single now,there would be no way my gf would tolerate it even though she hoards stuff herself Sad brad is one of the lucky ones with a partner that understands his hobby (I wanna games room (had one now it`s a nursery).

It`s all about balance (so to balance things out brad post me 1/4 of your collection Laughing ) the systems i pick up i use it`s not like they get put in the loft and forgotten about,but for every system i do buy i bung the gf a present to keep her happy to,it`s worked for me.

Grapes_of_gorf...love the museum shame i never thought of it and would love to come and check it out,if i`m ever in Australia i`ll be sure to come over and have a looksy.

Have a good one guys

Misha
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:
Hi Guys,

Hoarding can be fun to it`s only dangerous when it takes over your life,for example if i had as much gear as brad (nice games room by the way!!) i`d be single now,there would be no way my gf would tolerate it even though she hoards stuff herself Sad brad is one of the lucky ones with a partner that understands his hobby (I wanna games room (had one now it`s a nursery).

It`s all about balance (so to balance things out brad post me 1/4 of your collection Laughing ) the systems i pick up i use it`s not like they get put in the loft and forgotten about,but for every system i do buy i bung the gf a present to keep her happy to,it`s worked for me.

Grapes_of_gorf...love the museum shame i never thought of it and would love to come and check it out,if i`m ever in Australia i`ll be sure to come over and have a looksy.

Have a good one guys

Misha

yeah thats very true. you have to have a balance but i guess now i havent really bought anything in quite a while so im pretty happy with what ive got (which just so happens to be more than a room full!

oh yeah, its not that i dont want to give you 1/4 of my collection its just your too far away, so i guess ill just have to keep it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

sometimes i dont tell my wife that ive bought something new, once you get to the stage of having a room full of stuff, she doesnt notice any new things Very Happy

but she goes out and buys clothes etc... so shes happy!

ive made sure in the new house were building that i get an extra room just for my games, so when we do have a baby it wont take over my room. (sounds a bit selfish i guess...)
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad if you was giving me a 1/4 of your collection i`d be over to Australia like a shot,even if i had to swim all the way Laughing

As for the baby thing...no it`s not selfish it`s called planning ahead,i guess that is where your lucky in Australia,your houses can be quite big because of the amount of real estate available in your country,UK is fast becoming over populated which means new builds as a rule are tending to get smaller so i willingly gave up my games room for my son because at the end of the day that was more important.
ozzipete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A C64 with tape (cassette) drive I still remember my dads horror as I plugged it into the "family" TV set
ozzipete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grapes of gorf wrote:
Hoarding can be dangerous though, sometimes I think why do I need all of this crap. I know this guy in Ballarat who owns a shed that runs for a whole block he will not throw anything out and he has isles of old photocopiers stacked to the roof (crazy) he lives in the shed with his cats. Hoarding is a brain disease.

I RECKON THATS YOU !! WITH THE SHED FULL LOL
But I dont't think you have a brain disease Rolling Eyes I am as bad.. as you know Wink Wink
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah ozziepete it`s me with a shed full!!!

I only keep what i`m going to use,worst thing i find is after you get rid of something you always find a use for it Evil or Very Mad i think we are all guilty at some point in our lives of having to much clutter,i`ve always enjoyed playing games,it`s the only thing i find that helps me relax after a stressful day/night @ work and my job can be very stressful Exclamation Exclamation

Rolling Eyes i`m the only one online again Rolling Eyes ozziepete not long now and you`ll soon be a novice like me,well guys have a good weekend i`m checking out as i got to go back to work again in a few hours Crying or Very sad

God how i hate split shifts Mad
ozzipete

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:
yeah ozziepete it`s me with a shed full!!!

I only keep what i`m going to use,worst thing i find is after you get rid of something you always find a use for it Evil or Very Mad i think we are all guilty at some point in our lives of having to much clutter,i`ve always enjoyed playing games,it`s the only thing i find that helps me relax after a stressful day/night @ work and my job can be very stressful Exclamation Exclamation

Rolling Eyes i`m the only one online again Rolling Eyes ozziepete not long now and you`ll soon be a novice like me,well guys have a good weekend i`m checking out as i got to go back to work again in a few hours Crying or Very sad

God how i hate split shifts Mad

The time difference is a bit of a bummer I must say
No one is on here usually when I am either as Brad will tell you I usually get up about 4.00 am so first thing I do is grab a cuppa and see whats happnin here LOL
I live about 30km from grapes of Gorf and have known him for years his collection is nothing short of awsome his website doesnt show the true enormity of it all I have now set up 40 litre plastic storage tubs just for spares and bits and pieces its all sorted into brand/type/component
my boxed stuff is all packed away and once tested never gets used except to show someone, then I have the consoles that the kids play on or i use as test rigs for mods etc. I have a lot of older stuff coleco atari commodore and old sega stuff but I luv the Nintendos and my Dreamcast
jungle ninja
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one I had, was an Atari 2600 in 1980. Then a C-64 and onto an Amiga 500, then finally a pc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: