retrobrad
my first attempt at an led screen...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: my first attempt at an led screen... Reply with quote

Ive been experimenting this week with making an LED screen.

at the moment ive got it working fine with a simple 8x8 LED display (so thats 64 leds all up)

i want to expand on it and make a pretty decent size screen (that maybe one day) ill be able to make my own games for and play on the screen!

but for the moment, this is what ive got working.

Basically it uses a counter to 'activate' each column of leds in sequence, each time a 'column' is activated, it will grab 8-bits of data from an eprom and this will light up the leds that need to be lit for that column.

so as you can see in this pic, i have programmed the eprom to display a smiley face Smile

very basic for now, but i will be expanding on it!

and heres a video clip of it running, at first i have it running very slow so you can see how things are working (i.e each column being 'activated' and 8bits of data comming from the eprom are displayed, then i start to speed it up and you can see that a certain frequency (about 40hz) it becomes one solid image!

(you will need quicktime on your computer to view this)
http://www.retrobrad.com/phpBB2/images/mods/8x8_led_screen.3gp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Work in progress... All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: