retrobrad
Which Amiga System should I buy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADVantage
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Which Amiga System should I buy? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm a newbie here, but a long time videogame fan! Due to this being the case I own/have owned various different consoles/computers.

My biggest mistake was selling my Amiga 500+, (I was at school and without a job and desperate to get the then new SNES).

My question to you guys is which Amiga system should I buy?

Being out of the Amiga seen for a fair few years I've lost track of what software is compatible with which Amiga.

I would like to track down and play many of the classic games that were released on the Amiga, no need to list them as I'm sure you guys are well aware of what they are!

Do all the games play on any system? Or is there any incompatibilty issues? (Like A500 games not running properly on A500+ etc)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, ADVantage.
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ADVantage,

Welcome to retro brad!! it depends what you want to use it for, if just for gaming then i`d go for either A600 or A1200,i prefer the A1200 because AGA games are nicer plus can get most software to run that`s mean`t for a500 and other systems with a software degrader.

If want to do some serious work like video editing and the like then i`d go an A4000,they are though like gold dust on ebay and pricey when they do come up,guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend,hope that helps Very Happy

Misha
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Which Amiga System should I buy? Reply with quote

ADVantage wrote:
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here, but a long time videogame fan! Due to this being the case I own/have owned various different consoles/computers.

My biggest mistake was selling my Amiga 500+, (I was at school and without a job and desperate to get the then new SNES).

My question to you guys is which Amiga system should I buy?

Being out of the Amiga seen for a fair few years I've lost track of what software is compatible with which Amiga.

I would like to track down and play many of the classic games that were released on the Amiga, no need to list them as I'm sure you guys are well aware of what they are!

Do all the games play on any system? Or is there any incompatibilty issues? (Like A500 games not running properly on A500+ etc)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, ADVantage.

The A500+ (as far as i know) has a couple of differences to the A500:

It has 1mb of Chip ram (double the A500)
and also has the upgraded ECS Chipset.

if you wanted to get another A500+ then you should be 99% fine to run all games that would run on an A500, but then you still wouldnt be able to play any AGA games. (like you can on the Amiga 1200)

but if all you want is all those classic A500 games then you dont need to spend all that extra money on an A1200 / A4000 etc...

PS the A500 is my all time favourite system!!!
ADVantage
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:
Hi ADVantage,

Welcome to retro brad!! it depends what you want to use it for, if just for gaming then i`d go for either A600 or A1200,i prefer the A1200 because AGA games are nicer plus can get most software to run that`s mean`t for a500 and other systems with a software degrader.

If want to do some serious work like video editing and the like then i`d go an A4000,they are though like gold dust on ebay and pricey when they do come up,guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend,hope that helps Very Happy

Misha

The A1200 sounds like a good option, how does the software degrader work? Does it come with the A1200 or would I have to get one?

Also is it worth getting a HD on the Amiga? I didn't have one on my A500+, what would they be useful for?

Thanks again for your advice.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADVantage wrote:
Misha wrote:
Hi ADVantage,

Misha

The A1200 sounds like a good option, how does the software degrader work? Does it come with the A1200 or would I have to get one?

Also is it worth getting a HD on the Amiga? I didn't have one on my A500+, what would they be useful for?

Thanks again for your advice.

Harddrives are VERY, VERY handy! if you are going to go with that option then it would be best to get an A1200, since you can put an internal 2.5" harddrive in them (or even a 3.5" drive with a little modifiying)

but most of the time you can buy them with a harddrive already in them. you can install workbench (say workbench 3.1 like ive got) and then they are extremely useful for when/if you are playing games that use multiple disks (eg adventure games) so instead of the slow load times and having to swap disks all the time, you can just sit back and enjoy your game without the hassles.

you can also get an add-on harddrive for the A500 / A500+ but they can be expensive, they require an extra power supply and can be quite hard to find. so for the easy / best option, id go with the A1200.
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ADVantage,

You can get a prog "Relokick" it`s a system degrader that will trick your A1200 into thinking it`s a A500 by patching the Kickstart 1.3 rom into ram,thus you can run any old a500 games that wouldn`t normally run on the AGA Amiga.

The problem with this is ofcourse you`ll be running the old A500 games from disk,if you want to run old software from hardrive then i suggest you use WHDLoad you`ll find it here http://www.whdload.de/

hope that helps Very Happy
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Which Amiga system should I buy Reply with quote

I reckon a stock standard A500 would suit your needs. Most of my fave Amiga Games and Demos run on Kickstart 1.3 so that will satisfy your most immediate needs. Of course if you wanted AGA and the ability to run todays demos then the higher end systems might be more appropriate. I guess it just depends on what will satisfy your own personal Amiga needs.If you can run 90%+ of the software you want to run on a A500 then why go the xtra expense? Wink

Smile tomz Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> All about Amiga! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: