retrobrad
does anyone know how to fix up an amiga disk?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: does anyone know how to fix up an amiga disk? Reply with quote

hi guys, ive got an amiga game - KIN and apparantly it is very rare.

the problem is that i went to copy it to back it up and it's got a read error on track 66, does anyone have a special way of fixing this?

thanks

-brad
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if possible format the disk to pc format then run scandisk and download the game and copy it back may work ***astro***
ozzipete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grapes and I had a similar problem with a Commodore awhile back, I cant remember what we ended up doing .. even formatting the disks still came up with an error at a particulat track number

(sorry guys for the typos in some posts my keyboard iws past its use by date) Sticky keys
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzipete wrote:
Grapes and I had a similar problem with a Commodore awhile back, I cant remember what we ended up doing .. even formatting the disks still came up with an error at a particulat track number

(sorry guys for the typos in some posts my keyboard iws past its use by date) Sticky keys

yeah, but the problem is that this game is apparantly VERY rare and you cant get it from the internet ANYWHERE!

i cant even find ANY information on it whatsoever, it is made by ecp and ive got it in the box with the 3d glasses.

one of the other guys said he had never even heard of KIN by ECP and he thought he knew of all the games made by ecp...

so i cant format it because its the only copy (maybe in the world...)
ozzipete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find out it is realy rare you can take them to some places and get the data read from them but I think that iniself is a bit expensive
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzipete wrote:
If you find out it is realy rare you can take them to some places and get the data read from them but I think that iniself is a bit expensive

yeah, i think the way they do it is VERY time consuming and they do it sector by sector or something like that???

but ill have to see what i can do (on the cheap!)
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fixed some disks with X-Copy you have to be very patient and you may have no success anyway. What I do is just start the copy procedure again when an error appears. If you keep repeating this process over and over again after lots of attempts you may get the program copied with No errors.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grapes of gorf wrote:
I have fixed some disks with X-Copy you have to be very patient and you may have no success anyway. What I do is just start the copy procedure again when an error appears. If you keep repeating this process over and over again after lots of attempts you may get the program copied with No errors.

thanks grapes, ill give it a go, i have just been using d-opus to copy disks, but ill try x-copy Very Happy
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad

Sorry to hear your having problems with the KIN game,remember you saying it was a real find when you picked it up. Not sure i can help you out but it sounds either to me that the disk itself is dirty or maybe the floppy drive itself maybe.

I sort of agree with ozzipete so why not try these guys out to see if they can fix the problem for you http://simply-accounting.com/recovery/ they check out your disk/file and if they can recover it they send you a quote, there is no obligation,worth a try mate.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:
Brad

Sorry to hear your having problems with the KIN game,remember you saying it was a real find when you picked it up. Not sure i can help you out but it sounds either to me that the disk itself is dirty or maybe the floppy drive itself maybe.

I sort of agree with ozzipete so why not try these guys out to see if they can fix the problem for you http://simply-accounting.com/recovery/ they check out your disk/file and if they can recover it they send you a quote, there is no obligation,worth a try mate.

alright, ill give xcopy a go and then i might have to look into a professional = )
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that might help but would suggest you do a copy of the original first is a prog called Disksalv2,used to use it myself and has fixed many a disk for me,think you can get it from Aminet but if not just do a search on the internet for it.

Hope it helps mate. Very Happy
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:
Another thing that might help but would suggest you do a copy of the original first is a prog called Disksalv2,used to use it myself and has fixed many a disk for me,think you can get it from Aminet but if not just do a search on the internet for it.

Hope it helps mate. Very Happy

ill see if i have it in my collection, but if i dont, how do i go about transfering it from my pc to an amiga disk?
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrossDOS Brad that`s how

CrossDOS allows an Amiga to read PC formatted 720K disks. In order to use it, the files PC0: (1 disk drive) and PC1: (2 disk drives) must be copied from the "Storage/DosDrivers" drawer to the "Devs/DosDrivers" drawer on either your hard drive or bootable Workbench disk depending on which you use.

Once installed, you will see an extra icon appear for any disk inserted into the drive. Use this icon to format floppy disks for use on a PC.

that should solve your little problem Very Happy
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:
CrossDOS Brad that`s how

CrossDOS allows an Amiga to read PC formatted 720K disks. In order to use it, the files PC0: (1 disk drive) and PC1: (2 disk drives) must be copied from the "Storage/DosDrivers" drawer to the "Devs/DosDrivers" drawer on either your hard drive or bootable Workbench disk depending on which you use.

Once installed, you will see an extra icon appear for any disk inserted into the drive. Use this icon to format floppy disks for use on a PC.

that should solve your little problem Very Happy

but if i formatn the disk for use on a pc wont that erase my KIN disk?
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: does anyone know how to fix up an amiga disk? Reply with quote

Firstly do not format your copy of KIN,you will erase the game Crying or Very sad

X-Copy most version,is brilliant and if you persist you should eventually be able to back it up using this program

CrossDOS could also be used but to be perfectly honest I have had little success with this program,sadly todays PC floppy drives arent suited for reading Amiga disks (720k)

Disksalv2, never come across this prg but it sounds promising, if you can get a sector editor you could fix the damaged sectors/and or link bytes but you need to be careful

Now the good news, I have heard and seen this game,which means theres a good chance that pd/TIDE (Amiga leader of TIDE) has a copy or I have a copy,as I get most of my Amiga gear from him. I sent him an email,may have some posotive news,I will also look thru my colly to see if I can find it.

Last but not least have you physically removed the disk from its plastic case to see if you can find any damage or dirt on it? It may be just a tiny spot that could be wiped off, this has happened to me heaps of times. Smile

Smile tomz Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> All about Amiga! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: