retrobrad
Daniel C
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Daniel C Reply with quote

G'day everyone, Daniel C here. A bit about myself? OK, standard stuff, I live in inner-city Melbourne and until recently was a Chef until I gave it the flick to return to full-time study as an adult. I live with my hot little goth girlfriend and of course, am into "the hobby" in a big way. I grew up with a Commodore 64 and used this up until around 1995, when I bought a Sega Mega Drive. Since then, I bought the odd new console up until the PS2 but about three or four years I started getting nostalgic for my childhood (as I think many thirty-one year olds do) and re-invested in a C64 on Ebay. There was no turning back after that and I've been absolutely ADDICTED since then. On last count, I had amassed thirty-nine different consoles and computers and countless games. I have converted our spare room into a "retro museum" and proudly display all my boxed systems and games. My "gaming table" always has at least five systems on the go at any one time, but the C64 is ALWAYS on it. I keep a regular subscription to "Retro Gamer" and I think that I probably spend about a fifth of my salary on retro-related items every week through garage sales, "Game Traders" and of course, Ebay. Yeah, it's an all-consuming passion but it's something I love - I actually spend more time sorting, rearranging and cleaning my collection than I do playing the games themselves! Hope to see all of you at the con in November! Nice meeting you all!
ozzipete

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel Good to have you onboard You certainly sound like you have a good collection there dont forget to post us some pics in the your collections section its a good place to show off your stuff..
Pete
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

Welcome aboard daniel,nice to see a fellow Chef join! worse luck i still do the long hours,the stressful services and the 7 days a week Confused

Do you miss the chefing? not sure i would because it would give me more time to enjoy my retro gaming,anyways welcome and enjoy your stay.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, nice to have you as a member - id love to see your retro games museum, if you get a chance - make sure you send through some pics and ill upload them to the 'your collection' page!

ps, see you at the convention!

-brad
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Daniel C Reply with quote

Hi Daniel welcome to the forum, I must say your collection sounds GREAT and am looking forward to seeing some posts of it Wink

If you have a C64 problem please feel free to ask here in the forum and if you need some C64 soft/hard wares then feel free to PM me Smile tOm
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I miss the cheffing, Misha? NOT A CHANCE! Quitting commercial cookery was the best decision that I ever made. Now I'm studying to be a school teacher (HISTORY!) and although the study can sometimes get a little tough, it's NOTHING compared to the stress of a 7am brekky service! And, yes, I've definately got more time to devote to "the hobby" even with a part time job at Dan Murphy's. I may not be pulling in a grand a week now, but I wouldn't go back to cooking for all the money in the world! Still, it was a BIG decision to make. I've been cooking for thirteen years and it's really all I know but I always thought that I should be doing something more academic (I read a LOT!).
PS: is the Commodore keeping up with you?
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel C wrote:
PS: is the Commodore keeping up with you?

i love that ad!
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey come on Daniel C cheffing ain`t that bad Laughing now let me think.....long hours,stressful,hardwork,very little social life,important dates you work on i.e. Valentines day,Christmas Day,New Years Eve...times that should be spent with someone more important than your fellow chefs. Ok i`m sold cheffing is that BAD.

Good luck with your studying mate Very Happy one of my favourite subjects when i was @ school (History) maybe when you become a teacher you can teach the kids that there is more to life than the latest,greatest consoles they own....ah a paper for them...."The History of the Games Console"
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, that scenario has crossed my mind!
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Daniel C Reply with quote

Hey Daniel, teaching is one of my fave pastimes,recently I retired from TAFE for personal reasons but whilst there i had the good fortune to pass on some knowledge about computers to others (students/lecturers) as well as teaching the TAFE staff at Macksville here on the mid-north coast of NSW on how to flash a BIOS, beleive it or not the people responsible for teaching at TAFE didnt know how to do this..........makes me wonder what my TAFE certificates adorning my wall are really worth... Question

If you do choose teaching as your vocation at the end of your studies (these studies that never really end) then you will get that certain satisfaction from teaching others, its a really nice feeling (smug)

Smile tomz Smile
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think but Tom kids going through uni and doing IT courses are not generally taught anything hands-on about hardware. Even in our TAFE courses here only really 1 single stream touches hardware and OS installation.
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to be honest with you guys, I have no idea what you're talking about! I may be into retro gaming in a big way and sport an excellent collection (if I do say so myself) but I'm afraid that I know next to nothing about how all my machines work! As long as I know how to plug them in, set them up, tune a TV through the good ol' RF, and play the games then I'm happy. I have a friend who has his C64 hooked up to a PC and he does all kinds of crazy shit that a C64 was never meant to be able to do but me, I'm still on Windows 2000 and dial-up internet! Oh yeah, and don't use emulators! Even if I knew how to I wouldn't! It's the real thing or nothin' for me, bub! "BIOS", what the hell is that!
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the beauty of good old retro gaming. Usually simple hook up to a TV and your done.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Daniel C Reply with quote

@-Mixojoe-I too love the simplicity of the retro machines, the way you could hook them up to a TV and off you went

@-Daniel C-I would sure be mighty interested in getting to know this pal of yours, feeel free to give him my email, or better still get him to join the forum and I can PM him Smile

(So do you take bribes ??Smile maybe some C64 software, as in a lot of C64 software, do I have your attention yet?) Wink

Smile tomz Smile
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey tomz/TIDE,
I'll have a chat with him and find out if he's interested but he is a pretty private individual and I'm not sure. I've been trying to persuade him to buy a ticket to the con' but no luck yet. And he's only into C64 and Game & Watch. You should see his G&W collection! Anyone who's seen mint condition items doesn't know what they're talking about until they've seen this guy's stuff. I'm talking, in original, factory-sealed container boxes, never opened! You'll never see a better G&W collection for as long as you live! And just I think just about every variety there ever was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Who are you? All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: