retrobrad
PC Engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slaanesh
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: PC Engine Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be a lot of PC Engine love here on this board/forum Sad

I'm a huge PC Engine fan - I first remember seeing it in a special write-up in the old British C&VG magazine. I think it was Tony Takehashi - the Japanese correspondent getting really excited about the array of new games coming out. I remember seeing screenshots of Victory Road and China Warrior/Kung Fu. Those huge colorful sprites!
I also remember the Sega Megadrive being previewed in C&VG shortly afterwards with big shots of Space Harrier II (though the PC Engine had been release for a good year already in Japan - C&VG were just late to report about the PC Engine) and being similarly awestruck!

Regardless of the Megadrive, as I was hooked on the PC Engine! Here was this tiny console with these tiny cartridge cards playing some truly amazing (for it's time) looking games! At the time I think I had a Commodore 128 - the Amiga was as yet not affordable for me.

Unable to get a PC Engine at the time, I bough an Atari ST and the a Commodore Amiga. It wasn't until much later I finally got back to the PC Engine. This was in 2001, just as eBay was really starting to warm up. I bought an original white PC Engine, complete in box. Finally I had a PC Engine! Imagine my utter disappointment when I found it wouldn't work properly on my Sony TV! The original white PC Engine ONLY has NTSC RF - there is no composite output! I could get a grainy black & white picture but that was it. I quickly followed up buying a PC Engine RX complete with CD. This has proper composite and audio plugs.

Actually ever since then I don't buy hardware unless it supports composite video out. The only other console that I know that only has RF out is the Atari 7800. Possible the Atari 2600 as well but I don't have one of these to verify.

Anyway, I have been steadily been buying PC Engine games since and have quite a few games now. I'm a big fan of arcade shooters so the PC Engine is really well suited to my interest.

If anyone wants any advice on PC Engine related stuff I can maybe assist - specially if it comes to choice of games.

How many others have PC Engines?

Oh! If anyone has some of those old C&VG magazines from the late 80's to early 90's that they want to sell - please let me know! Thanks.
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Slaneesh welcome aboard, I have seen you on the gp32x forums I am Iorgy77 over there. I never got into the PC Engine until I emulated it on the gp32 a couple of years back, galaga88/90 and raiden are some great shootemup conversions that stand out for me.

Shame Australia never got an official PCEngine/turbo gfx release. Recently a Japanese ebay seller has started selling PC Engine systems on ebay.com.au so I may pick one up sooner or later but until then the gp32/gp2x and wii virtual console will have to keep me going.

When the wii was first released here you could not get PC Engine virtual console games so I stooged my wii into thinking I was in the UK and I could buy them. Got 3 games on there atm, Military Madness, Galaga90 and the other a rally game which the name of escapes me atm.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: PC Engine Reply with quote

slaanesh wrote:
There doesn't seem to be a lot of PC Engine love here on this board/forum Sad

I'm a huge PC Engine fan - I first remember seeing it in a special write-up in the old British C&VG magazine. I think it was Tony Takehashi - the Japanese correspondent getting really excited about the array of new games coming out. I remember seeing screenshots of Victory Road and China Warrior/Kung Fu. Those huge colorful sprites!
I also remember the Sega Megadrive being previewed in C&VG shortly afterwards with big shots of Space Harrier II (though the PC Engine had been release for a good year already in Japan - C&VG were just late to report about the PC Engine) and being similarly awestruck!

Regardless of the Megadrive, as I was hooked on the PC Engine! Here was this tiny console with these tiny cartridge cards playing some truly amazing (for it's time) looking games! At the time I think I had a Commodore 128 - the Amiga was as yet not affordable for me.

Unable to get a PC Engine at the time, I bough an Atari ST and the a Commodore Amiga. It wasn't until much later I finally got back to the PC Engine. This was in 2001, just as eBay was really starting to warm up. I bought an original white PC Engine, complete in box. Finally I had a PC Engine! Imagine my utter disappointment when I found it wouldn't work properly on my Sony TV! The original white PC Engine ONLY has NTSC RF - there is no composite output! I could get a grainy black & white picture but that was it. I quickly followed up buying a PC Engine RX complete with CD. This has proper composite and audio plugs.

Actually ever since then I don't buy hardware unless it supports composite video out. The only other console that I know that only has RF out is the Atari 7800. Possible the Atari 2600 as well but I don't have one of these to verify.

Anyway, I have been steadily been buying PC Engine games since and have quite a few games now. I'm a big fan of arcade shooters so the PC Engine is really well suited to my interest.

If anyone wants any advice on PC Engine related stuff I can maybe assist - specially if it comes to choice of games.

How many others have PC Engines?

Oh! If anyone has some of those old C&VG magazines from the late 80's to early 90's that they want to sell - please let me know! Thanks.

I used to love C&VG magazine, but unfortunately i dont have ANY today. I wish i had of kept all the ones i used to have. Sad

it sounds like you're a big fan of the pc-engine! i must admit i havent had much to do with them, but know that they have some great games released on them and that they're a great system.

by the way, did you send in the retro collections pics? i dont know who did and cant upload them untill i do!

as for composite video out systems, you can pretty much modify any retro system to have a composite video output. When i get the time ill be uploading details on how to do these mods to various systems....

-brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> And the rest... All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: