retrobrad
Time for some advertising
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The Annual Retrobrad Retro Games Convention
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixojoe wrote:
I agree that the first is always the hardest. I have spread the word around uni. Have you considered a student price for tickets?

unfortunately no, its because im not making any money from this event, every bit of money i get, im putting into prizes, venue hire and hopefully food!
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brad, i have printed about 30 flyers out for now, plan to do more when i buy some paper. The question is, ( since i have never done this before ) and it may seem rather stupid is where am i allowed to put flyers ?.. as in on street poles?, on walls?.. i mean are there certain laws i need to go by, since i don't want to throw a bunch of flyers on telegraph poles..etc.. only to find they contact you and fine you for something!.

I was think about using a spray on Adhesive as well for the paper ( is that also allowed? ), although would just a bit of strong tape either end do the trick?.

Again, sorry for a question that may have a painfully obvious answer, but i would rather not get you in the shit!. Wink
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blade002 wrote:
Hey Brad, i have printed about 30 flyers out for now, plan to do more when i buy some paper. The question is, ( since i have never done this before ) and it may seem rather stupid is where am i allowed to put flyers ?.. as in on street poles?, on walls?.. i mean are there certain laws i need to go by, since i don't want to throw a bunch of flyers on telegraph poles..etc.. only to find they contact you and fine you for something!.

I was think about using a spray on Adhesive as well for the paper ( is that also allowed? ), although would just a bit of strong tape either end do the trick?.

Again, sorry for a question that may have a painfully obvious answer, but i would rather not get you in the shit!. Wink

Hmm, good question! im not sure what the rules are behind all this, but im pretty sure that you are allowed to post things up on telegraph poles, i mean you see advertising everywhere! the only other place i can really think of would be in shopping centre notice boards?

but thanks again for your help, every flyer is definately a big help and i appreciate it VERY much!
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem Brad, but yeah i do plan to print out another 70 flyers, although i wont be able to post them up till this weekend, although i will do the other 30 flyers during the week Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blade002 wrote:
Not a problem Brad, but yeah i do plan to print out another 70 flyers, although i wont be able to post them up till this weekend, although i will do the other 30 flyers during the week Smile

I feel like i should be paying you guys for your work!
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Time for some advertising Reply with quote

@-Blade002-Supermarket notice boards/or the ones in malls are okay,you can also ask individual shop owners if you could post your flyer on the window,Im not sure how that would work in a city (10,000+pop.) but here in the rural parts of the mid north coast its more than acceptable.

If you do spray glue the flyers on telegraph poles and walls etc, do it at night, very quickly Wink And remember its only a crime if you get caught

Smile tomz Smile
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day, Blade002,
Good to have you on board on the flyer front. I've been putting up flyers in my spare time for a couple of weeks now and so far have put up around one hundred with more to come. I'm a bit of an expert on "telegraphing" so I'll give you a few tips. Yes, strictly speaking, it is an offense to place advertising material on telegraph poles but you really have to use a bit of common sense. Don't telegraph in "up market" areas because they're the type to call the cops. Telegraph in busy, shopping strip areas on any pole that already has advertising material on it. It is common courtesy to check any ad that you place your flyer over. If the event being advertised is still coming up, don't put your flyer over it, otherwise go for it! Any poles that are clean are probably outside businesses that hate pole ads so don't bother as it will be pulled down very quickly! For adhesion, use your bog-standard (really cheap) sticky tape, preferably with a wide circumference that you can put your hand through and wear the tapes like bracelets. Although, as I have said, telegraphing is officially illegal it's a bit like jay-walking. Everyone does it and as long as you're sensible and mindful of the areas residents and their sentiments, you'll be fine (NOT FINED!). There are entire businesses set up which employ people to put up advertising material on telegraph poles so the police won't care about someone putting up a few sheets of A4 on already covered poles.
Oh, yeah, a word about how to stick them up. Place your paper where you want it on the pole and wrap the tape around the pole from the top to the bottom of the paper using around three to four revolutions. Don't worruy about scissors, just pull on the tape when you've finished until it snaps. As long as the ad is straight, don't worry too much about neatness! Sticky tape will not stick to wood so the tape is really there to tie the paper onto the pole like your wrapping a piece of string around a rock.
OK, mate, good luck and get telegraphing!
PS: Always use community notice boards too. Alot of supermarkets and video shops have them. These are put up with tacks which are usually provided (or steal them from someone else's ad!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The Annual Retrobrad Retro Games Convention All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: