retrobrad
My Atari computers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rybags
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: My Atari computers Reply with quote

I've modded both my 800XL and 130XE machines.

I did the Superpic 2.0 mod to the 800XL. Wasn't really happy with it, it made the picture appear washed out.

I managed to contact the creator of the mod - we both agreed that it probably didn't work out so well because it was aimed at NTSC machines. He advised removing a bit of the work, which I did, and improved things a bit.

Part of the mod was also adding the chroma output to the machines monitor jack (worked fine).

The 130XE is the machine I use most now (despite the XEs having a crap keyboard).

I've built an internal APE interface, which I built based on the commonly available schematic. Works great, I actually built it using the circuit board from an ancient RS-232 PC mouse, as it had an IC which I removed then replaced with the 1489. Then, just cut some traces and used the header already on the board.

I've also added an S-Video and 3.5mm audio jack to my 130XE.

I went with the S-Video because I can then just use the computer via my PCs capture card.

I also added a 3.5 mm audio jack.

For anyone contemplating these additions to their Atari computers, a few notes:

- although I wouldn't recommend the superpic type upgrades, I would definately recommend adding the chroma output to the monitor jack.

- in retrospect, I should have just gone for an RCA instead of 3.5mm for the audio on the XE (as Atari did anyway with the XEGS)

- there are cables available (or you can make your own) which can convert the output from the factory monitor port to S-video and seperate audio, although many XLs and later machines don't have chroma connected by default.

Planned upgrades:

I have about 40 old 1 meg SIMMs. Once I find some instructions + schematics that I can trust + read easily, I plan to upgrade my XEGS to a 1088K machine.

7800 console - the RF output from mine is pathetic (although I think the jack being fairly worn is mostly to blame). I've got the parts, just gotta find the time to do an A/V output mod.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent heard of the Superpic mod before, what exactly does it do???
Rybags
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Superpic mods are aimed at improving the video quality, be it RF or through the monitor port.

Atari made the video circuitry progressively worse after the 400/800, a lot of it was just due to poor choice of component values.

I'll try and dig up some links later.

But, here's some pics of my 130XE:

APE/SIO2PC RS232 port

S-Video and audio jacks

Inside pics - APE circuit board

Inside view - S-Video and audio out

It was pot luck that I had an ancient serial PC mouse that had a circuit board almost custom made for the job I wanted. The lug which the screw goes into to hold the case on even fits nicely through one of the small holes to hold it into place.

It uses a generic 1489C type TTL to RS232 level converter IC as described in the various DIY guides. The board has a header, so I made use of it. The plug takes the signals directly to the Atari's SIO port by wires which I soldered onto the pads which the SIO pins go to.

That allows easy dismantling of the machine without having to take the RS-232 plug out of the case.

The holes I've made in the case didn't turn out so great - I didn't have the Dremel clone back then.

The S-Video and audio just pickup their relevant signals from the solder pads which the monitor jack goes to.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, i'm impressed!

any chance of bringing any of your mods to the convention???
VERTIGO
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that before. Is that your mod, or did you copy that from somewhere??. I like the idea, but I'm not sure that its totally 100% correct.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: My Atari computers Reply with quote

Hey NICE mod Rybags!! How long in total hours did it take? Not the total time it was spread over , just the actual modification hours. Smile

Smile tomz Smile
Rybags
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The APE/SIO2PC interface is pretty well known and been around for a number of years.

Same with the A/V stuff. I'll probably change that 3.5mm plug for an RCA one as it's a bit touchy and drops audio at times.

Not a lot of people build APE into their machines, but I'm all for less cables and mess so went that way.

Back to the A/V - having S-Video is well worth the effort of building it in or making an external cable as it is clearly better than composite and a huge leap above RF.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rybags wrote:
The APE/SIO2PC interface is pretty well known and been around for a number of years.

Same with the A/V stuff. I'll probably change that 3.5mm plug for an RCA one as it's a bit touchy and drops audio at times.

Not a lot of people build APE into their machines, but I'm all for less cables and mess so went that way.

Back to the A/V - having S-Video is well worth the effort of building it in or making an external cable as it is clearly better than composite and a huge leap above RF.

i think its nice work Rybags, modding consoles is fun, and making it actually look neat is the best way to go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> My mods All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: