retrobrad
Ive just been ripped off on ebay!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Ive just been ripped off on ebay! Reply with quote

I bought a laptop off ebay, (for a friend). Anyway, i received the laptop today and the screen was smashed. The packaging was terrible so it's no wonder that it broke. The seller is assuming no responsibility and ebay wont do anything either. So now we're stuck with a laptop with a busted screen.

Ebay wont do anything because i didnt use PAYPAL, what is the deal with that? what difference does it make how i paid?

i paid $30 for postage, it was $17 to actually send the item, and about $3 to register it, so what happened to the other $10 i had to pay? The seller said they used that $10 for PETROL! how far are they driving to the post office???

We'll i just wanted to get that out of my system, im pretty stink'n annoyed...
ozzipete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate ! my heart goes out to you .. honestly there ARE some real a**holes selling on there
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Ive just been ripped off on ebay Reply with quote

The screen (Im 99% certain) would have been broken before he sent it as its extremely hard to damage a laptops screen if the unit is closed up properly, I learnt this doing up computers for TAFE. We handled about 50 laptops on one occasion where some of them were anything but gently handled by students,some even dropped and never have we lost a screen and laptops are designed to take a fair bit of battering, but I have seen screens get damaged on 2 occasions when something has been left behind on the keys and someone has tried to close it.

As for what you can do about it, I would be looking at making an official complaint to the OMBUDSMAN as well as ctx-ing Fair Trading. Finally I would be inclined to post his name and addy here so that we can make sure we never deal with this guy

My heart goes out to you over this matter as it really SUX! As for ebay I dont use them at all and dont plan to before the year 2049, Ill be a 100 then and dont plan to be around Wink

Smile tomz Smile
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you`ve been ripped off mate,doesn`t leave people with much faith in humanity when you get a**holes like that.

I agree with TOMZ it`s pretty hard to smash the screen once the laptop is closed. The PAYPAL thing that you mentioned is like a credit card,if you purchase anything online with a credit card and never recieve it you can claim the cash back from the card issuer. PAYPAL works in the same principle except you claim the cash back from PAYPAL.
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ive just been ripped off on ebay Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
The screen (Im 99% certain) would have been broken before he sent it as its extremely hard to damage a laptops screen if the unit is closed up properly, I learnt this doing up computers for TAFE. We handled about 50 laptops on one occasion where some of them were anything but gently handled by students,some even dropped and never have we lost a screen and laptops are designed to take a fair bit of battering, but I have seen screens get damaged on 2 occasions when something has been left behind on the keys and someone has tried to close it.

As for what you can do about it, I would be looking at making an official complaint to the OMBUDSMAN as well as ctx-ing Fair Trading. Finally I would be inclined to post his name and addy here so that we can make sure we never deal with this guy

My heart goes out to you over this matter as it really SUX! As for ebay I dont use them at all and dont plan to before the year 2049, Ill be a 100 then and dont plan to be around Wink

Smile tomz Smile

Tomz, it probably seems like a good idea to name this person on this forum. But believe me from personal experience it would be the wrong thing to do. The person sounds like a compete arse bandit but unfortunately you have to be very careful when naming and shaming any one if it's justified or not. The arse bandits of the world know how to play the system and lawyers are there best arse bandit friends.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Ive just been ripped off on ebay Reply with quote

Grapes you are perfectly right, it would be somewhat dangerous to actually name this person as we live in the ''Age of Litigation'' okay then I would dearly love to see his addy,the one that drew Brad to purchasing from, just to see how he was marketing his laptop, I promise not to look at the sellers name, honest Wink I think in this way we could get around that problem as we would only be viewing the addy that backfired on one of our members, ehhermm namely the Administrator of this site, and as there are many here whom I would imagine used ebay services, well we do have an obligation to them.. dont we?? Smile

Could be worth some further input,I wonder what some of the members here think about this way of saving ourselves from similar probs. Question Question

Misha, I keep getting this supposed email from Paypal telling me to update my account, of coz Im not fooled for a moment about its legitamacy as I dont have and never had a paypal account, one other thing I heard about Paypal was this, say I buy something from you thru ebay and we both use paypal etc, 2 months down the track I can inform my Paypal account to cancel the transaction retreive my money from your Paypal account back to mine just by lodging a complaint with them over the transaction, do you happen to know anything about this?? Smile

Smile tomz Smile
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tomz no mate i don`t know anything about that and haven`t heard it either,i do however use paypal and i know you guys have warned me about it but up to now i`ve had no problems (touch wood!) if this does happen though it`s just like most things in life 99.5% of us use it and the other 0.5% abuse it!

A Little like this forum really,the majority of us use it the way it`s supposed to be used while others just think it`s a place to post * links and sell *. Yes we might be of a certain age but do we need *......Hell No nor do we need the links to * Evil or Very Mad

Sorry for the rant but they make me so annoyed Smile i say name and shame the seller of the laptop!!!

Oh i forgot to say...Congarts on becoming a full on mod Tomz
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Grapes Nice idea but how would this work?? would we have to PM each other with the item No / persons name or would like "found something cool on ebay" section would we have "ebay disasters" for AUS & Europe?

You`d have to be so careful as it could land us all in alot of hot water if it went wrong.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, just an update.

I was looking through my past wins on ebay, and the guy who sent me the broken laptop is no longer registered! so i guess ebay at least got rid of him, and before this he had a perfect record of 64 positive feedback. oh well...
Ike
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomz: I have received the same email to update my account and I can confirm that it is a scam. Thats from the horse's mouth. (Pay Pal)
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple method is to hover your mouse cursor over to any outside links within the email and see where they are actually pointing to also.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixojoe wrote:
A simple method is to hover your mouse cursor over to any outside links within the email and see where they are actually pointing to also.

The second laptop i bought (with the smashed screen) i just bought a new screen for - it cost me $300!!! so im pretty annoyed about that.

Also - heres some interesting info.

I spoke to ebay on one of those live chat sessions, and i askes them this question "If i buy something on ebay, am i GUARANTEED to get what i have paid for"

The answer i got was "NO"

how crazy is that! they say that it is a legally binding contract, but ebay does nothing to uphold this contract, hmmm.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: