retrobrad
Fibre Optic next generation internet speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Fibre Optic next generation internet speed Reply with quote

Its Coming, when exactly here in OZ, hard to say but expect it within the next 5-10 years, the politicians are already talking about it and the advantages in speed downloads is fantastic when compared to the fastest systems downloads today.

PC user qouted speeds, a couple of issues back of 1 to 2 seconds to do a download of a 2 hour movie. This is fast indeed but many reading here may not be aware that Telstra has had a paddock full of fibre optic cable just sitting there doing nothing for over a decade, Im sure they want to flog their 3G plan first and they seem to be doing that successfully as they are sending out hundreds of new mobile phones to existing customers with the scare tatic that they wont be able to use their existing phone next year.

This is BULLDUST of the 1st calibre, as of coz they will still be able to use their mobiles (everywhere else/any other network) just not on the Telstra 3G network. ;P

What do you think about fibre optic technology thats heading our way???
And of the way Telstra are doing business compared with their competition

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fibre Optic next generation internet speed Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
Its Coming, when exactly here in OZ, hard to say but expect it within the next 5-10 years, the politicians are already talking about it and the advantages in speed downloads is fantastic when compared to the fastest systems downloads today.

PC user qouted speeds, a couple of issues back of 1 to 2 seconds to do a download of a 2 hour movie. This is fast indeed but many reading here may not be aware that Telstra has had a paddock full of fibre optic cable just sitting there doing nothing for over a decade, Im sure they want to flog their 3G plan first and they seem to be doing that successfully as they are sending out hundreds of new mobile phones to existing customers with the scare tatic that they wont be able to use their existing phone next year.

This is BULLDUST of the 1st calibre, as of coz they will still be able to use their mobiles (everywhere else/any other network) just not on the Telstra 3G network. ;P

What do you think about fibre optic technology thats heading our way???
And of the way Telstra are doing business compared with their competition

Smile tomz Smile

I have to agree, Telstra are dodgy, especially with forcing people to upgrade...

but the fibre-optic internet sounds pretty cool, im guessing that means every home will have a direct fibreoptic link?
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be surprised at how much fibre is already laid out ready but dormant.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Fibre Optic next generation internet speed Reply with quote

I know its already in place between major Australian cities, as I had a few months work laying the cable up here on the mid north coast of NSW.
So basically for most Aussies all they would have to do is run it between the exchange and your house/home. Smile

But will probably still end up costing a fortune for us to have it on:cry:

Smile tomz Smile
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tomz & Brad

i think your pretty lucky having fibre optic cable coming soon!! you know
in China they are offering up to 100mbps with fibre optic cable,sadly the
UK is lagging way behind due to British Telecom refusing to spend the ?15
billion to upgrade it`s system to fibre optic.

I have currently 8mbps but i`m lucky if i get 1mbps when using the service which is poor considering the UK has lead in so many different industries. i`ll see you in 20 years time when the UK finally gets fibre Mad
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have slave hulks over there?
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Fibre optic next generation internet speed Reply with quote

@-Mixojoe-Dont be mean, the slaves youre refering to are now called citizens Laughing

BTW-Rumour has it that British Telecom meets at Stonehenge once a year,on a certain day for their annual staff party Wink

Misha I have a satelite connection because Telstra couldnt provide normal broadband up my end of the road,and the download speeds arent worth mentioning.Hopefully all that will change this year as we have a new government in office Smile

Smile tomz Smile
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ tomz & mixojoe

Hey come on now guys we want no POM bashing here Laughing
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being serious!
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Fibre Optic next generation internet speed Reply with quote

I wasnt! I was only joking,and now if you'll excuse me I will rip a small branch off a tree in good old Fawlty Towers style, and go and give mixojoe a good thrashing,hope this will make amends..... Laughing

We Aussies love to kid around,we hang it on anything and everything, including ourselves,a few years ago there were heaps of OZ jokes going around,one that still stands out in my mind was......

Q-Why are Aussie men so quick in bed??

A-So they can get down to the pub and brag about it to their mates Laughing

As for fibre optic, my son from Melb came up over xmas and commented on how much faster his download speed was compared to mine, he said it was at least 10 times faster (but probably more), he only got his FOptic connection a couple of months ago,and the prices will get better(cheaper) as more people start to get the service Wink

Smile tomz Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: