retrobrad
The ebay ***HALL OF SHAME***

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: The ebay ***HALL OF SHAME*** Reply with quote

Alright, we all use ebay and for the most part it's pretty cool. BUT how many times have you been ripped off?

Ive started this topic so we can all let out our frustration and find comfort in the arms of fellow retro gamers... (or something like that)

So without further ado, ill get things started.

I bought a laptop in October 2007 and it turned up with a smashed screen, the seller wouldnt accept any responibility. and would send some pretty nasty emails! I contacted ebay and they didnt help AT ALL!!
the sellers username - purple_fixation
the laptop cost me $500

In the same month i bought another laptop, i paid STRAIGHT away and after a week i hadnt received the laptop (it should have been overnight from canberra to here) i emailed them and they said they were busy and would send it the next day, so i waited another few days and still no laptop. i emailed them and asked if they had sent it, they said they DID and by this stage im really worried thinking that it was lost in the post. So i emailed back and PLEADED with them to tell me the truth, i would have felt alot better if they told me they hadnt sent it. They swore that they had sent it. so i go off ringing around aust post to try and see what has happened. then a week and a half later it shows up and the date on the stamp? was actually the day before i had received it. AND the icing on the cake? THE SCREEN WAS SMASHED!!!! it cost me $800

they wouldnt email me back and ebay DID NOTHING AGAIN!!!!
their username - misst5

and the last one for tonight.
I sold a laptop and made sure i advertised everything as best i could. Then the guy who bought it leaves me NEGATIVE feedback because i didnt send him a wireless card!!! I DIDNT ADVERTISE THAT IT CAME WITH ONE AND HE WONDERS WHERE IT IS!!!! he said all new laptops these days should have wireless...

his username - whip5656

okay, thats it for me for now!!!!
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got burnt a couple of times there brad. In all my years on ebay I only ever got ripped off once and that was for an a1200 accelerator from a guy in NSW. He took my money and then just unregistered his account. His emails didnt make any sense at all and I am convinced he intentionally ripped me off. Was for around $90. But my Amiga karma* is good and I ended up getting a better accelerator for very cheap about 6 months later.

*I have given away a lot of Amigas and Amiga stuff over the years and it always seems to come back to me with people giving me free stuff as well.
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve had my first two bad experiences with ebay this December

First of i bought CDPD IV on the 4th December 2007 as it`s the only one
i still need to complete the series,10 days had passed and i get an e-mail
to say it had just been posted (a little angry by then). 23rd December my
other CD i bought from the guy arrived but no CDPD IV,i`ve contacted the
seller a few times just to update him that it hadn`t arrived,he`s been ok about it and even agreed to replace it with another CD if by the 1st Jan 2008 it hasn`t arrived.

Second one i bid on Amiga CD32,in the final hour of bidding it was getting
crazy between me and another bidder until in the end the price was getting
silly. I pulled out before it ended and the other bidder won (my gut feeling
was telling me something wasn`t right) Next day i get a second chance offer,wasn`t going to accept but managed to talk the seller down to a price
more agreeable to me and they accepted.

The bidder who backed out was Shields1969 and i`d got a little sus because every item the seller was auctioning he/she was the first bidder,
anyways back to the story....i bought the item paid for it and got a invoice
from the seller and guess what the first part of their email addy was "Shields" talk about a seller opening a seperate account to bid on their
own items in order to force up the price. i bought the item on 18th December 2007,got feedback from seller to say the item had been posted
20th December! knew i wouldn`t get before xmas so waited until 29th December and e-mailed seller asking if they could track the parcel as it hadn`t arrived. Recieved e-mail from seller 30th December to say they hadn`t posted it because of the amount of items that go missing @ xmas
and that they forgot to e-mail me and let me know,was going to post today 31st December.

I don`t know about you guys but i got a real bad feeling about this one and get this feeling that i`m not going to recieve the item (hope i`m wrong). I should recieve it by 4th January 2008 so i`ll keep you all updated but i got a feeling this is going to end up a dispute.

Beware this scam is real! doesn`t happen often but sellers do and have opened seperate accounts and bidded on there own items in order to get
the best possible price for the items.
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Everyone

Be warned!!! there is a store on ebay that`s starting to get a bit of
a reputation for selling pirated software. i`m no angel but when it
comes to collecting you want the real deal. It seems to be mostly
Amiga CDTV & CD32 stuff they are copying.

I just wanted to warn you all because they are selling the items as
new and justifying the fact when someone complains about it by saying
they have the rights to make copies. I was actually going to purchase
alot of Amiga software from this store about 2 weeks ago,i`m so
glad i read the feedback.

Name :- buy_more_store

I know the stuff is going cheap and you get what you pay for but
do we really need this on ebay?
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Everyone

Well i have good news (i know i doubted) my AmigaCD32 arrived today,
i was extemely worried about it because of the sellers behaviour and was
even more worried when they told me 10 days after saying they had
posted it and they hadn`t .

I stand corrected and what a relief it is to. Very Happy
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:
@Everyone

Be warned!!! there is a store on ebay that`s starting to get a bit of
a reputation for selling pirated software. i`m no angel but when it
comes to collecting you want the real deal. It seems to be mostly
Amiga CDTV & CD32 stuff they are copying.

I just wanted to warn you all because they are selling the items as
new and justifying the fact when someone complains about it by saying
they have the rights to make copies. I was actually going to purchase
alot of Amiga software from this store about 2 weeks ago,i`m so
glad i read the feedback.

Name :- buy_more_store

I know the stuff is going cheap and you get what you pay for but
do we really need this on ebay?

thanks for the tip misha, i cant believe people would do that - i mean, what kind of collector would actually collect pirated copies?

a similar thing happened to a friend of mine that bought some knightrider DVD's - they said they were new but turned out to be copies...
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have to report a bad seller. Just highlight a mistake that I made, last week I won Amiga 1200 from Germany I DID NOT CHECK that seller accepted paypal. So I went into the bank and made a Telegraphic Transfer for the exact amount which cost an additional (au)$32. After trying do decipher an e-mail from the seller and reading the fine print of the transfer, fees can be charged to the money sent, so seller is $12euro short. I have to go back into the bank and make another (au)$32 transfer. and pray that the seller gets the correct amount because fees can change when the money gets to Germany. This is a nightmare and is costing me big.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you can definately get caught like that from buying over seas! especially when you may need to use one of those online translators to understand what they are saying.

did it all work out for you in the end?
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: The eBay ***HALL OF SHAME*** Reply with quote

This time its EBAY themselves who should hang their heads in shame!! Mad

As of the 17th of June 2008 Paypal will be the main way of buying and sellin on eBay. Not happy with all the profit they are already making, as they also own Paypal (and collect all these mini$ucle fee$,from million$ of their customer$) it appears they now want the whole cake. Is this just corporate greed or good business practice??

What are your views on this???

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with you tomz.

Have you seen how many individual items ebay has at any one time?

it is in the millions, and if you average it out that each item would sell for $50 and ebay gets 3% of that, then ebay gets $1.50c for every item. so they make millions of dollars a day!

Now if you can only use one payment option (paypal) then they get themselves another 3% for that!

lets put it into perspective - i sold a laptop a while ago, it sold for $1000 - ebay then got $30 from that - then the person who bought it used paypal, so theres another $30

from one item ebay took $60 from me! ouch!!!!

shame shame shame ebay... they must be best friends with the fuel companies...
Alex
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're kidding? You can no longer use bank deposits or any other transactions?
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only use cash if you are picking up. I suppose you could arrange your own payment methods and say you are picking up but that kinda leaves you open to being ripped off if you are a buyer.

The one thing I liked that they changed was no negative feedback for buyers. Sick of bad sellers blackmailing me, cant leave neg feedback because they will just leave neg feedback in retaliation.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: The eBay ***HALL OF SHAME*** Reply with quote

-@George-But this innability to leave negative feedback will only mean an increase in shysters on eBay, coz even if you leave neutral feedback, it dissappears after another 5 feedbacks have been left for you. I agree with regards to what you said about sellers blackmailing buyers into leaving feedback before they leave their feedback for you (the buyer) as that really SUX.

What it effectively means in the long run is that the ''feedback'' system wonth be worth reading as it may not represent a true picture of who you are dealing with.

I bought 2 x 512mb SD Ram sticks from EMARTBUY at the start of April, After 6 weeks I asked him if he had posted it, 5 days later he got back to me, to say that it had been posted and that he wasnt responsible for the Post. 1 week later I escalated it to a paypal dispute, and in my mail I reminded him that although he wasnt responsible for the Post, he was responsible for posting them in the first place. His reply 2 days later was "Well look into it" . 9 days later I escalated it into a claim thru paypal and they gave him till the 9th of June after which time he must give me a refund. (unless by some miracle I get the items in the meantime, YEAH RIGHT!)

And I am unable to warn other eBayers (apart from the ones on this forum) about giving this eBay store a BIG MISS!

Crying or Very sad tomz Crying or Very sad
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I logged into myebay today and i was presented with a page detailing how they are making all these changes to make ebay safer...

Well of course thats why they are making these changes! its not about the extra money they will be making!

I wish they would have the guts to come out and say "look - we're making millions of dollars from all you ebayers, but we're very greedy and want more money - thats why we are changing ebay!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: