retrobrad
Over 25, Aus citizen, No yr 12? Want a free laptop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Over 25, Aus citizen, No yr 12? Want a free laptop? Reply with quote

I applied for this two weeks ago and am using my free laptop to post this thread right now.

http://www.thegetgroup.com.au/getskills/skillsvouchers/skillsvoucherhome.htm

Worth it if you qualify. I left school at 16 to do an apprenticeship so I qualified. I am also signing my Mum, Dad and Brother up.

The laptop isnt the best laptop in the world but it isnt half bad either Acer Extensa 5220 with wifi, dvd burner etc... downsides are it comes with 512meg ram and windws vista (both issues are easily fixable.
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cant be for real THB ?. I haven't had time to read it yet, but whats the catch???
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Over 25 Aus citizen no yr12 want a free loptop? Reply with quote

THB your ACE mate!! Great find thanks heaps for sharing it with us all Smile

Twisted Evil tomz Twisted Evil
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blade002 wrote:
This cant be for real THB ?. I haven't had time to read it yet, but whats the catch???

They sign you up for an online course, the government then sends you a skills voucher for $2800, you send the voucher in to the course providers, they send you a $700 laptop to do the course on. They are the ones scamming the government if you ask me.

The course is piss easy from what I have seen so far, Certificate II in Business (General Computing)

tomz/TIDE wrote:
THB your ACE mate!! Great find thanks heaps for sharing it with us all

Hey no probs, hope people here can take advantage of it.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Over 25 Aus citizen no yr12 want a free loptop? Reply with quote

I just received my confirmation email from them and they make it soooo
easy, I owe you a beer THB, make that a slab Smile Smile Smile I sent off 4 it Sunday night Wink

blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Over 25 Aus citizen no yr12 want a free loptop? Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
I just received my confirmation email from them and they make it soooo
easy, I owe you a beer THB, make that a slab Smile Smile Smile I sent off 4 it Sunday night Wink

So let me get this straight then. Its entirely free !?. The course is free, the notebook is free?, or is the notebook only on loan till you finish the course?
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laptop is yours to keep, only condition is you have to finish the course. The course looks like a real no brainer by the way.
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THB wrote:
Laptop is yours to keep, only condition is you have to finish the course. The course looks like a real no brainer by the way.

Looks like i wont even qualify for it anyway Sad .. I finished a Certificate II course back in 1995 in IT. It says as a prerequisite that you cannot have completed a Cert II course or higher in the past.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Over 25 Aus citizen no yr12 want a free loptop? Reply with quote

Apart from the easy basics course you scan your driving license and your medicare card along with a stat declaration stating that you are the person who is in the license that can be notorized by a policeman,a chemist(not one who works for the Hells Angels as he is a different kind of chemist 8)and Justice of the peace but then they send out to you all the paperwork anyway,just in case you cant do the one available online. Once you send that back to them its in the works,if you use the net to send all the stuff they want (relevant info) then it takes 2 weeks if you use Australia Post with your stat dec and photocopy of your license and medicare cards then it takes an extra week.

Its now wed night I applied last sun night I expect to receive their letter in the mail tommorow,and I will let you all know how I get on Smile

Smile tomz Smile
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Over 25 Aus citizen no yr12 want a free loptop? Reply with quote

Just an update I will be getting my laptop delivered in the next day or so, whoopee!!! Smile

And thnx again THB for posting the topic in the first place, ta mate Very Happy

Smile tomz Smile
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one mate, I did hear that they are taking a bit longer at the moment as they ran out of laptops.

If you are planning to keep vista on it you definetly should get yourself 2gig of ram. Can be had for around $70 these days, let me know if you want some and I can point you in the right direction.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Over 25 Aus citizen no yr12 want a free loptop? Reply with quote

I wonder if they will still be sending me an Acer - Extensa like they sent you? And as for the 2Gig of Ram,well oddly enough less than an hour ago I was discussing the laptop with one of my sons, and I said to him that I will probably increase the installed 512 MegRam to 2 Gigs.

I just thought that if its upgradable to 4 Gigs,then 2 Gigs would be a fairly nice speed to begin with. Wink

Smile tomz Smile
whiteb
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what is the catch ?

What are the Laptop specs ?
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Over 25 Aus citizen no yr12 want a free loptop? Reply with quote

Apart from the 40 hour course theres no other commitment required,you get the laptop, to do the course. And you have 40 days to do this, which is heavy duty study at 1 hour a day,hope I'll be able to do it as I dont like my days too full................. Wink

As for the laptop, it depends on availability of model, THB got an Acer Extensa but even if you dont happen to get that particular model you will get one comprable. At this time they are experiencing about a weeks delay in delivery, but as the actual skills voucher issued by the Australian government is worth $2800 its easy to deduce that the getskills group are making at least a couple of grand from each student they get, so Im sure they are keen to get the laptop to you as soon as they can. I would imagine they wouldnt be able to cash-in their vouchers until a student completes the course.

Whick kind of brings me to the realization that in all probability every student that enrols WILL PASS possibly with flying colours as its in the companys interest.Smile

Several of my neighbours have applied for it also and we are all doing our course online and one of them applied for it here last night and he got a confirmation phone call this morning as he hasnt even got an email addy yet,so once its in the works things start to happen fairly quickly, just as THB describes it in his original posting of this topic, thanx again THB Smile

heres a link to the Extensas' specs

http://acer.com.au/acer/akc/rwpattach.nsf/PublicbySrc/Extensa+5220-3050508Mi.pdf/$file/Extensa+5220-3050508Mi.pdf

Smile tomz Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: