retrobrad
Blow your horn and beat your drum.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Blow your horn and beat your drum. Reply with quote

It's nearing the end of the year so it's time to tell us about the games you have completed in 2007.

I finally finished Jet Set Radio this year on my Dreamcast. I like cell-shading graphics and JSR was one of the first games to use this technique. The game features a killer soundtrack. I had a great time completing this game. The final level is set on-top of a skyscraper with a baddie DJ and huge spinning LP records.

Viewtiful Joe II also uses cell-shading. Viwtiful joe is a side scrolling beat-em-up I had a good time playing VGII. Parts of the game are very difficult and you have to use very fast combinations of buttons I broke one gamecube controller playing VGII I threw it at the T.V screen it's a VERY frustrating game.

The last game I finished that uses Cell-Shading techniques was OKAMI. OKAMI is an Action Adventure game where you play as a Wolf who has lost the memory of his past and his powers, he is helped upon his way by a little flea named issun. OKAMI features amazing graphics and a story line that blew me away. Most of the time I think story lines get in the way of a good game. But in the case of OKAMI it enhanced the game and I was willing to read and admire it not just press A to skip all of the text. OKAMI is an amazing game you have to try it. It did not sell many copies for PS2 and that's unfortunate a Wii port of the game is being worked on. I also finished God Of War on ps2 it made me very agro.

I got through EXCITE TRUCK on wii and had a blast. The gameplay reminds me of Stunt Car Racer . EXCITE TRUCK is the best ARCADE RACER I have played since Daytona. The other two titles I completed on the Wii format was Rampage(*good fun) and Rayman (it's only Ok) There was a bug in the Pal format of Rayman that meant you could only complete one of the levels if you set your output to 60hz widescreen (very bad to release a game with this bug).

For retro games this year I beat the dark side playing Archon against the computer (not a very hard task) I love Archon in two player it's one of my favourite games on C64. I also completed Commando (piss easy) commando is a good fun game. I have not played any other ports of commando or in MAME maybe I should try the other versions. I also played through Blue Max. It took me a long time to get through Blue Max as a kid (maybe 4 years) but I think that was because I was still getting coordinated using the Joystick. I grew up playing Blue Max and when I first completed it I jumped for joy. If you want to try something fun when playing it drop a bomb on the shed next to your runway the screen will change colour and your altitude will slowly drop (regardless of fuel level).
I still didn't get through Boulder Dash this year but played it a fair bit (maybe next year I will finally defeat it).

Ok now it's your turn to tell us what you have been playing this year.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Blow your horn and beat your drum Reply with quote

Well GRAPES I must confess I have not completed any games this year at all, even though Ive played a few on a few different formats. The one Ive played the most this year has been ROAD RASH on the PC.

My reason for this thats its not a bad game,I still have it on the Amiga,and I play it whilst my virus checkers are doing their nightly duties.

The 2nd mostly played game for me has been ROLLCAGE on Playstation 1.

Ive also indulged at least once a week with the NEED FOR SPEED series.

To be honest I havent had as much time this year as I usual would, but I will make up for it over the holidays thats for sure!!! Wink

Of coz I have played many different C64 and Amiga games,but then I use these 2 commodore systems all the time . I just cant seem to drag myself out of the 80s Laughing

Smile tomz Smile
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only game i have finished this year is Turrican 2 on my Amiga, although i of course finished it about 50 times over back when t bought it upon its release.

Ummm.. other than that, i either haven't had time, feel guilty playing 1 game for too long.. lol, or i just haven't found anything of any interest that is new to bother playing.

I yearn for the days though when we could play some real quality pixel art graphic adventures in the same vain as things like Future Wars, Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis -, Monkey Island, Simon the Sorcerer, Cruise for a Corpse, Operation Stealth.... oh the list could go on and on!..

Why oh why is everyone going loopy over RTS games & FPS games !?!?!?!.. bring back 2D, bring back nice laid back gentle gaming with amazing dialog, storylines & beautiful hand drawn art.

The last AMAZING graphic adventure that i did play was in 2001 and it was called "The Longest Journey"... probably THE BEST Adventure i have ever played.
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have finally opened my museum I do have time to sit down and play games again. Tomz, I remember playing the original 'Need for speed' on the 3D0 it was cool especially the ability to do burnout's.

Did you need hints/walkthrough's doc's to complete all those Graphic Adventures Blade, or could you work out all of the puzzles your self? We used to use the word Doc's to describe a printout of a video games solution. Did anyone else use that word? it's not used these days. I agree with you about the glut on fps and rts games. But I do remember that there were also gluts in platformer and shoot 'em up games a few wheels ago. Last month I had to look up what a mmorpg was it made me feel like an old fart.
Have heard good things about a graphic Adventure game for the Wii, its called Zac & Wiki.
Ike
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see, I have finished Castlevania SOTN for the second time(Love that game), Castlevania Portrait of Ruin on the DS, Gears of war (XB360) Myth (C64) and just now Guitar Hero 3 on Hard (Xb360). My fav text based game is Manic Mansion on the c64.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Blow your horn and beat your drum Reply with quote

-@-IKE- I just downloaded a PC version of Maniac Mansions Smile

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be honest, the only game i have completed this year is Super Mario Kart, and you only need to set aside half an hour for that...
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grapes of gorf wrote:

Did you need hints/walkthrough's doc's to complete all those Graphic Adventures Blade, or could you work out all of the puzzles your self? We used to use the word Doc's to describe a printout of a video games solution. Did anyone else use that word? it's not used these days.

The only Adventure games i used walkthrough on were Operation Stealth & Monkey Island 2.

But in Operation Stealth, i didn't use it until i got the very end, where i was stuck for months!!.. so in the end i caved in and used it!. The rest of the Adventures i figured out myself.

With Monkey Island 2 though, as great as a game that is was, some of its puzzles made absolutely no sense and no logical mind would even think of doing some the things it wanted you to do, so it kind of made it impossible.

Although i was downloading LSD Docs disks every month back then and they have every walk through for every new release, but i am glad i was hardly ever tempted to delve into them. The only thing was interested in was reading the docs for the game, and i used to love those Scene disk magazines as well.

My golden rule of thumb though when it comes to ANY game, is to NEVER use cheats ( unless its Shadow of the Beast ), because at the end of the day, why play the game if all you are going to do is cheat ?.. the game then just becomes just one big animation that you watch with no challenge at all or sense of accomplishment when you finish it.

I RARELY have used cheats, until i actually finish the game, because then i know i can do it anyway... Its a bit like with SWIV. I played that non stop everynight for a couple of months until i finished it with only 1 life left !!... and god did i feel AMAZING when on my very last life i had millions of bullets flying here and there and i am shooting this big orange thing whilst its shooing orange bullets ( hard to see !! ) and knowing the whole time i have only " 1 life " left... and i need to use every bit of concentration that i have to beat this thing!..

And when i did !!.... i felt pretty damn proud!!!!!.. Smile if i had of used cheats though... would have been a dead experience but with very nice Graphics Smile

Hitman on the PC is another fine example... i finished that too, and there were times where the tension was so high i would be sweating in "Winter" !!!.. lol. you couldn't save that game until it self saved after you finished a mission. and some missions took 3 hours to finish, so if you screwed up it was back to the start again. A real Challenge!!!.
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using cheats destroys games. Sometimes I do sin and use walkthroughs. SWIV is an excellent shooter it must have been a really cool thing to get through it. SWIV is not usually mentioned when people list there favourite shoot 'em up games. So I started a new thread where members can list games that they think are underrated.
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly finished next gen games in 2007. Not much time for general gaming unfortunately, so retro games took a back seat. Standouts would be twighlight princess on the wii and halo3 and portal on the 360. Cant really remember much else. Twighlight princess was a really great experience and Portal was fantastic but really short. Halo 3 was well... Halo 3... ho hum...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> And the rest... All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: