retrobrad
AmigaCD32
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: AmigaCD32 Reply with quote

Well as you all know by now i recieved my Amiga CD32 today Very Happy

I`ve had a little play on it and i got to say i`m very impressed indeed
didn`t think an A1200 console could be so fast Shocked and i don`t
think i`ve had this much fun since the days i owned an A500+.

I think it`s time to use my A1200T for serious stuff and CD32 for the
gaming,A1200 just doesn`t really cut it for games and i know in the
past i`ve tried to push this computer hard on others but i stand corrected
again Rolling Eyes from now on if anyone wants a games machine either get
a A500 or CD32.
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cd32 and yes its great for general gaming but you cant beat an expanded 1200 with WHDLoad. Wink
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THB wrote:
I have a cd32 and yes its great for general gaming but you cant beat an expanded 1200 with WHDLoad. Wink

speaking of which, does anyone know how you can copy A500 games onto a cd to play on a CD32?

ive seen around the place that people make 100, 200, 300 game compilations for the CD32 and they are all Amiga 500 games....

oh and i agree - the CD32 is a great console! with some very good games Smile
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrobrad: they are whdload installs as well as jst and they are booted using a menu.

I have some of them somewhere around here burried under piles of crap. Will try and dig them out, otherwise you could probably search on the underground gamer torrent site.
Ike
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Brad. Direct link to the underground gamer for cd32 games
http://www.underground-gamer.com/details.php?id=24973
Has 400 games
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Everyone

Without trying to sound to thick i was wondering if it`s possible to use
an Amiga CD32 controller on a Amiga 1200! i assume it is but i`d rather
ask before doing any damage
Azryl
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha, as far as I am aware the CD32 controller pad works with all Amiga models.

It has a standard 9pin plug and correct wiring but some games wont be able to understand some of the extra buttons. Cd32 games were written to use the extra buttons and functions of the controller.

Most Amiga games should recognize the controller as a standard joystick or gamepad.

Az
Cammy
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use CD32 controllers on my A1200 all the time, they're great! You can even get Playstation-CD32 adapters now, so you can plug a PS1/2 pad into any Amiga or CD32 and use all the buttons (for games that support 6/7 buttons, of course).

The red button becomes the main fire button, and the blue button acts as the second fire button for games that support it (a surprising amount of old games have an option for 2-button controllers).

I would advise all Amiga users to get themselves a CD32 compatible pad! There are good games out there that need the extra buttons. You can get an original Commodore item (maybe swap the D-pad in it for a better one though), a Competition Pro CD32 pad (with turbo and auto fire), a Boomerang CD32 pad (shaped like a Mega Drive pad, with three lare buttons for red, blue and green, and small buttons for yellow, play, and the shoulder buttons), or get a Playstation converter.

Failing that, any Sega Master System or Mega Drive compatible controller will work as a 2-button controller on an Amiga. Buttons 1 & 2 on the Master System pad, and buttons B & C on the Mega Drive pad work.

All the games I make will always have options to switch between joystick/2-button/CD32-control/ and keyboard controls, which is how they all should have been from the start!
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Azyrl & Cammy

Thanks for replying to my post,glad it will work just wasn`t sure incase
some of the wiring was different,should of just plugged it in and given
it a try but oh well Confused i`ll know for next time won`t i.
Azryl
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Misha

With the later Amiga model computers with surface mounted CIA >complex interface adapter< chips which control the mouse/joystick ports, its best to ask questions in forums like this one before plugging anything suspect in. The possibility of destroying one of the CIA's is very high because they have 5volts supplied as an output. Cross the wrong wire and the chips self destruct!

Its really not that bad, the CIA's take a small amount of abuse before becoming faulty. On older Amiga systems they were socketed and a quick swap with a good chip fixed a problem if it existed.

On the Amiga 600, 1200 and some 4000's they are surface mounted and need a technician to de-solder/re-solder a replacement if damaged.

Az
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azryl wrote:
Hiya Misha

With the later Amiga model computers with surface mounted CIA >complex interface adapter< chips which control the mouse/joystick ports, its best to ask questions in forums like this one before plugging anything suspect in. The possibility of destroying one of the CIA's is very high because they have 5volts supplied as an output. Cross the wrong wire and the chips self destruct!

Its really not that bad, the CIA's take a small amount of abuse before becoming faulty. On older Amiga systems they were socketed and a quick swap with a good chip fixed a problem if it existed.

On the Amiga 600, 1200 and some 4000's they are surface mounted and need a technician to de-solder/re-solder a replacement if damaged.

Az

Thats some good advice - we dont want to hurt our ever dying breed of retro systems!
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THB wrote:

Do you know if whadload works on a 1200 with a ADF PCMCIA Compact Flash Transfer Kit ?
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PCMCIA ADF transfer kit doesnt help with whdload except to get the whdload slaves onto the 1200 HDD if you dont have a network or cd-rom.

Generally whdload is most compatible with at least an 030 accellerated amiga with 8meg of ram, it would also work on a stock 1200 but some installs might give you trouble and I dont think preloading the games into ram would work too well.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: AMIGA cd32 Reply with quote

Im the proud owner of a CD32 (thnx Brad!! Smile Very Happy ) and its a great lil machine,the saddest part of the CD32 was just prior to CBM going into bankrupcy.CBM was trying to get stocks of the CD32 into the USA,but the US Government refused to allow the importation from Europe because of CBMs outstanding ten million dollar bill. This may have saved CBM at the time, but alas it wasnt to be. Crying or Very sad

Cammy wrote
Quote:
All the games I make will always have options to switch between joystick/2- button/CD32-control/ and keyboard controls, which is how they all should have been from the start!

I agree 101%, one of the nicest things about my Commodores was the fact that I always had a working joystick for either my C64/128s and my Amigas, Id just swap them from one machine to the other, but always remembered to power down the Amigas before I plugged anything into them. It didnt matter on the C64s whether it was switched on or off.

Try doing this to your PC, something should crash or lockup nicely Laughing

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cammy wrote:
I use CD32 controllers on my A1200 all the time, they're great! You can even get Playstation-CD32 adapters now, so you can plug a PS1/2 pad into any Amiga or CD32 and use all the buttons (for games that support 6/7 buttons, of course).

The red button becomes the main fire button, and the blue button acts as the second fire button for games that support it (a surprising amount of old games have an option for 2-button controllers).

I would advise all Amiga users to get themselves a CD32 compatible pad! There are good games out there that need the extra buttons. You can get an original Commodore item (maybe swap the D-pad in it for a better one though), a Competition Pro CD32 pad (with turbo and auto fire), a Boomerang CD32 pad (shaped like a Mega Drive pad, with three lare buttons for red, blue and green, and small buttons for yellow, play, and the shoulder buttons), or get a Playstation converter.

Failing that, any Sega Master System or Mega Drive compatible controller will work as a 2-button controller on an Amiga. Buttons 1 & 2 on the Master System pad, and buttons B & C on the Mega Drive pad work.

All the games I make will always have options to switch between joystick/2-button/CD32-control/ and keyboard controls, which is how they all should have been from the start!

hey cammy, make sure you let us know of the progress of your games!

I love it that even today, people are programming great games for our much loved classic systems!

im sure everyone else around here is looking forward to your next release!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> All about Amiga! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: