retrobrad
Idea for next Retrobrad ( or whatever we call it ? )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The Annual Retrobrad Retro Games Convention
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blade002
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Idea for next Retrobrad ( or whatever we call it ? ) Reply with quote

Ok, we MUST get the ball rolling for the next Retrobrad convention and idea's i think should start around about now! Smile

My first idea is that for the Atari 2600, C64, SNES, Amiga, N64 & Megadrive that with all these systems combined we play only ONE game from each system and we ALL must play that ONE in a HIGH SCORE CHALLENGE !!

So we take a score from that ONE Amiga game everyone has played, we take from that ONE SNES game that everyone has played..etc.. and then we add together all the scores the player has attained into one big final score for each individual and see who comes out on top!

The prize will be yet to be decided! Smile

What do you all think, and more importantly, what do you think Brad?
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea!

The FIRST thing we need to do is come up with a new name! I'd love it to not be MY convention but OUR convention.

so everybody think of what we can call it...

also, i think thats a great idea about playing all the different systems, we can have a dedicated screen with everybodys name on it and their points total. That way everyone will move around a bit, get to play all sorts of games and have loads of fun along the way.

a note for grapes - are we still able to hold the convention at your retro games museum? maybe we could also hire some sort of marque (or tent) and set it up next to the museum as well...

i think if we organise and advertise within the very near future, then we stand a chance of selling loads of tickets and also we should be able to sell tickets for quite cheap - maybe $5 - $10?

and last of all, is there anyone out there who wants in on planning this event? I'm excited about it and i'm sure that we will break the 20 people barrier this time round!

and who knows just how much the convention will grow each year?
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The events name should still promote the RETROBRAD web site, personally I think the name from the first should still be used. If the nature of the event evolves that's cool and it can be OUR convention. But the next event should build on the first and we shouldn't forget that without the work that has been done on this site by Brad we would not be discussing events future or past. I came up with a few alternate titles anyway but they probably suck: 'RetroBrad Elite', 'Pac Brad', 'RetroBrad Invaders'.

Blade the Idea of the HIGH SCORE CHALLENGE is awesome. The only issue that I can think of is that some games score much heavier than others. A person that has done really well on low scoring games but bad on high scoring games, might feel ripped. An alternative would be to reward 'overall points for first, second and third on each game. Personally I like your original vision because it would mean that an underdog could win Particularly if high scoring games are played last. Life is not fair and the HIGH SCORE CHALLENGE should also not be fair. Some one would have to be elected to organise the CHALLENGE. Also a time table for the days events would be a good idea.

Yes, My museum is still available and I don't want much $ for the rent. A tent, marquee, might be ok if it can be got cheap heating/water proofing might be an issue. what do other people think? I can clear out my accommodation and it can be used. Does anyone have some alternate venues in mind? I wasn't really keen to travel far to a destination last year but I had a cool time at the event and would do so if another event is organised.

It would be a good thing to use the forum to plan the event?
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of Gorf's museum. I also like a more centralised city approach. Keeping the price down is essential. Also sponsorship of some from maybe from games shops and even game developers/distributors
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so heres some things that we need to organise:

Arrow Date of the convention:

Arrow Is it going to be just one day? or maybe a weekend event?

Arrow The planning of the day (competitions etc...)

Arrow What games to play in the comps?

Arrow Ticket prices?

Arrow name of the event?

Arrow how to advertise?
mihcael
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started thinking about this years event and was glad to come here and find that the planning is underway!!!!

grapes of gorf wrote:
The events name should still promote the RETROBRAD web site...

I agree that Retrobrad name should not be dropped, the bit that need to be dropped is the Convention bit (sounds Dodgy/Gay)

Quote:

Blade the Idea of the HIGH SCORE CHALLENGE is awesome. The only issue that I can think of is that some games score much heavier than others. A person that has done really well on low scoring games but bad on high scoring games, might feel ripped. An alternative would be to reward 'overall points for first, second and third on each game. Personally I like your original vision because it would mean that an underdog could win Particularly if high scoring games are played last. Life is not fair and the HIGH SCORE CHALLENGE should also not be fair. Some one would have to be elected to organise the CHALLENGE. Also a time table for the days events would be a good idea.

The way to fix the scoring discrepancies between games is to work out percentage ratings based on everyones score against the winners score.

Total up all the percentages from each game and highest percentage wins!!

I am a mod for the Lemon Amiga Competitions and can help to devise a suitable scoring system if required!! Or for a points based scoring system with bonuses and penalties for different criteria here is a comp i ran with a few mates last year!! Kiifo's Retro Comp

These two sites will also give ideas for which Amiga (and MAME) games are most suited to scoring competitions!!

And, since things are finally moving, i will post at LemonAmiga and maybe EAB and Amiga.org to get some peeps in!!![/quote]
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about expo instead of convention?

I like the ideas for the percentage scoring - that would be the fairest i think.
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be really great to try to find someone out there who has made games in the industry to come and speak.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixojoe wrote:
I think it would be really great to try to find someone out there who has made games in the industry to come and speak.

does anybody know of anyone in melbourne?
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah spread the word as it is amazing who knows who
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Idea for next RETROBRAD (or whatever we call it ) Reply with quote

Heres an Idea, why not have an Easter Net RETROBRAD EXPO, thats right have a weekend on the net, maybe thru MSN or something similar, and we could all have some fun, maybe playing Mario Karts online and other stuff...? Those of us with cameras (webcams) could be online etc etc and it certainly gives each and everyone of us time to prepare for it. Well what do you think guys and gals?? Huh Huh??? Confused Confused Confused

Your input IS APPRECIATED, c'mon lazy...... Razz

Smile tomz Smile
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not forget that Ballarat hosts the GiG usually in May. Get Into Games Festival
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The Annual Retrobrad Retro Games Convention All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: