retrobrad
The Annual Classic Gamers Convention 2008
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The Annual Retrobrad Retro Games Convention
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: The Annual Classic Gamers Convention 2008 Reply with quote

Alright then people - the time has come...

The time to get things moving along for the bigger and better 2008 version of the Annual Classic Gamers Convention

This year it will be held at grapes of gorfs video game museum (im pretty sure this is still okay isnt it grapes?)

He has a nice big shed specially made for his huge collection of video games, arcade machines and other nostalgic computer gear.

And depending on how much interest there is - we will set up a big marquee / tent next to the museum with loads more games etc.. setup in there.

The price will be kept to a minimum this year (around the $5 mark) because i dont have to try and cover the cost of the venue hire (like last year...)

Do me a favour and think back for a moment - think back to when video games were fun - when you would go over to a friends house to try and beat each others high scores on your favourite games - think back to when games were all about the fun and the gameplay - not about graphics and special effects - think back to when all that mattered was the high-score, think back to the days when classic video games ruled!

Because thats what i want to recreate here people - lets all bring back the glory days - even if it's for only a day or two a year - lets bring it back!!!

who's with me?
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support such a motion
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Brad, its still 'okie dokie'. I hope it can be a success.
I plan to install a projector screen this year and will try to do so before the 'Annual Classic Gamers Convention'. If you need a help with planing etc feel free to contact me anytime.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grapes of gorf wrote:
Yep Brad, its still 'okie dokie'. I hope it can be a success.
I plan to install a projector screen this year and will try to do so before the 'Annual Classic Gamers Convention'. If you need a help with planing etc feel free to contact me anytime.

Excellent!

okay now we need to set a date... How about sometime in september or october? that gives us 3-4 months to advertise and get the word out to as many people as possible.

Also - we need to work out a schedule for the day i.e:

9:00 am - start

9:10 am - free play of games

10:00 am - first competition (maybe a head to head super mario kart?)

10:30 am - free play of games

etc etc...

If anyone can think of some good things to do throughout the day to make it a little more interesting - then be sure to post your ideas here.
mihcael
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An idea for a bit of entertainment between competitions...

Could have game demonstrations, where someone shows how to complete a game or something...

eg. Blade002 has become a bit of a gun at Turrican (Amiga) he could demo the completion of that game??

now i dont know how long it takes to complete and i imagine it might be too long, probably want something around 30 minutes!!

Maybe others are really good at certain games?? Just an Idea!!

edit - BTW, could you unsticky the announcement threads from last year and put some new ones up??

edit2
Retrobrad at Lemon
Retrobrad at EAB
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres some good ideas coming along here Very Happy

Im sure if we have a few helpers for the event then this year can be a great success. We will have to get some kind of advertisement / flyer happening.

I can dedicate a webpage as an advertisement eg www.retrobrad.com/convention

i guess the best way to get the word out is by posting in forums and possibly on ebay.

Grapes - is it possible to get some photos of your museum to show in the advertisement?
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep post to as many forums as possible. Even look at local games publications and web sites to advertise free there. I will put up some posters at uni etc.
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@@ Grapes - is it possible to get some photos of your museum to show in the advertisement?

No worries, I will send some through this week Brad.
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mihcael wrote:
An idea for a bit of entertainment between competitions...

Could have game demonstrations, where someone shows how to complete a game or something...

eg. Blade002 has become a bit of a gun at Turrican (Amiga) he could demo the completion of that game??

edit2
Retrobrad at Lemon
Retrobrad at EAB

That's a cool idea, I watched someone complete Super Mario World on SNES last month in 21 minutes.

River Raid on Atari 2600 is a good game to compete for a top score. I have been playing it a little lately. It appears that when your score reaches around 1400 the game layout repeats but has more enemies. Pac Man is also a great game to compete for top score.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a video of a guy completing super mario bros 3 in 11 minutes! it is unbelievable!

i think there are loads of great atari 2600 games that would go great in the high score comp Smile
mihcael
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recorded Amiga Games has tons of amiga game play videos, from completing a whole games to speedruns of a particular levels. (i think they have started branching out into other platforms)

This would be good to set and just leave it running allday/night!!
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grapes has a wonderboy cabinet, i think that would be fun to do a first level speed run?

I think that would be a game that everyone could stand a chance in Smile

By the way, i am putting together a dedicated website for the convention and will let you all know when it is up and running and what the link is
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a round robin PONG challenge!
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a list of activities that have been suggested please expand,discuss,change the list.

10 a.m open (i think it was 10 last year would anyone want it to start earlier?

The first hour should be free allow everyone to look around and mix competition not to start till

11 a.m to make sure that everyone who want's to compete is at venue. I can record high scores. Some members said we can use a mathematical formula to determine the winner of the high score challenge or we can just add up all of the scores. We have to decide which method to use. here is a list of games to be amended

pac-man
river raid
stunt cycle
circus atari
space invaders

It's hard to judge how long this will take because of all variables: number of people, skill etc. the prize can be a $50 gift voucher at gamestraders other store (suggestions?)

I don't think it would take longer than an hour and a half then it would be about lunch time and we can allow an hour for that (last year Brad organised some pizza for lunch.

At about 1.30p.m we could play a speed run challenge at Wonder Boy prize to be determined I can donate some chocolate.

we can then have some more free time and some one might want to give a demonstration of a game or give a talk about using a specific emulator/electronics.

Then we could finish with a round Robin pong challenge. Please change alter, distort this list it is a work in progress.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fantastic to me!

how about this:

Arrow 9am - 1 hour freeplay

Arrow 10am - high score comp for 1 hour
river raid highscore comp (max time of 3 mins and 1 life)
stunt cycle comp (each person gets five attempts)

Arrow 11am - free play until lunch

Arrow 12pm - lunch! bring an extra $5 and that will get you a large pizza and a can of softdrink

Arrow 1pm - retro games auction? (bring some of your games you want to sell and we'll auction them off!)

Arrow 1:30pm - second high score comp for 1 hour
pac-man (max time of 3 minutes per person and 1 life)
space invaders (max time of 3 minutes per person and 1 life)

Arrow 2:30pm - demonstrations / videos
i've got a super mario bros 3 world record video (completed in 11 minutes!) we can watch things like that on the projector screen and have other things like that (suggestions anyone?)

Arrow 3:30pm - Wonderboy level 1 speed challenge (the person to complete the first level of Wonderboy (arcade) in the shortest time wins!)
I could donate something for a prize here... maybe Wonderboy for the sms? or something like that.

Arrow 4pm - free play and hangout with all the friends you've made!

i think we're just about there as far as how the day goes, i can get my advertisement site finished and then we can start advertising. So how does the last weekend in October sound? say october the 25th (saturday)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The Annual Retrobrad Retro Games Convention All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: