retrobrad
What is your favourite commodore 64 system?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Crazy about Commodore!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whats your favourite c64 system?
The brown 'breadbox' system
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
The Commodore 64C
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
The Commodore SX64 (portable)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Commodore 64/128
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: What is your favourite commodore 64 system? Reply with quote

My current c64 setup is the older brown 'bread box' system. which i love, ive also got a commodore 64c but dont use it as my main setup.

as far as i know, the c64c has an upgraded sound system - is that right?
jungle ninja
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the brown breadbox system. Well, thats the only one I knew in the day. I have sooooooooo much fun memories (as most of us do!), that thats the one for me.

I'm sorry, don't know about the sound system, but I do know they had upgraded one. Even had the new c64 sytem, with a build in desktop, like the Amiga has.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: What is your favourite Commodore system Reply with quote

My fave Commy system I guess is the one I have,its a C64C with AR7 2 1541s and a CMD-HD40. The easy of use of the AR with its many options and the storage of the HD40 are enough for my need as I have all my prgs on 5.25 disks. (yeah yeah I should convert them Sad )

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favourite Commodore system Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
My fave Commy system I guess is the one I have,its a C64C with AR7 2 1541s and a CMD-HD40. The easy of use of the AR with its many options and the storage of the HD40 are enough for my need as I have all my prgs on 5.25 disks. (yeah yeah I should convert them Sad )

Smile tomz Smile

Mate ive gotta say thats a pretty impressive setup! where'd you get the HD-40 from?
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Whats your favourite commodore 64 system? Reply with quote

I already mentioned that in another posting here,but anyway I got it from a person who was selling off the late Gordon Wormalds (RIP) commy stuff. And whatever he got for it went straight to Gordons widow, she apperantly had no use for it.........sigh.................but lucky me and I must say these Yanks made one hell of a quality peice of hardware Wink

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i just read that other post just after writing the post here... oops.

hope she got alot of money for it all, sounds like he had quite a bit of cool gear.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: What is your favourite Commodore 64 system Reply with quote

BRAD wrote:
Quote:
As far as I know the C64C has an upgraded sound system-is that right?

Yes the C64 has 2 different SID (sound interface device) chips, the 1st one found mostly in the brown breadbox is the 6581, the other found mostly in C64Cs is the 8580. Of course theres only 2 real ways of telling which SID chip is inside your C64, one is opening it up and taking a physical look and the other is a small type in program,a 3 liner....

1 poke54296,15
2 poke54296,0
3 goto 1

If it makes a sound its a 6581 if no sound then its a 8580 unless its been modified to play digis (or its broken Laughing )

@ JungleNinja - That new C64 system like the Amiga was actually software implemented and it was called GEOS, a bit slow on the C64 but nice on the C128

@Brad - I payed a total of $200 + postage for the whole lot and in it were manuals, disks both 5.25 and 3.5 as well as the hard drive, ramlink, REU.
Gordon Wormald had a lot of commie gear as he was President (and founder) of the CC128CC (Canberra Commodore 128 Computer Club) so I got all his Club disks, he was well known and well respected amongst the Aussie commie community in the 90s.

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you have a 3.5" disk drive for the c64???
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a controversial choice but I have to say that I much prefer the C64c over the breadbox. Yes, I know purists will say that the SID chip isn't as good but whatever, I can't tell ANY difference and believe me, I've done the comparisons! With its stylish C128esque body and white keys it looks much better than the ugly old brown breadbox and it has a reset button! I grew up with the breadbox and have a couple of them but for my desktop setup, the 64c looks fantastic! Oh amd hey, why doesn't the poll mention the ludicrously expensive C64GS? Now THAT'S a system that I'd LOVE to get my hands on if I ever win the lotto!
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C64c does look great i must admit, but my most fond memories are of the c64/128. It was our home computer back in the 80's, my dad used it for work and we used it for games, it was great. So if were going by looks, the c64/128 is by far the best looking = )
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious? Sure the 64c was based on its design, but it's far more refined. The 128 is a giant SLAB with a hard to clean rough plastic finish, unlike the 64c's smooth, white lines.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: What is your favourite Commodore 64 system Reply with quote

Both systems have their advantages, although I prefer the C64C myself, thats mostly because Im a hardened 64-er, but the best C64 / 128 keyboard is the one thats on the C128D, its flat ,smaller than a PC keyboard and the most comfortable one out of all the commy keyboards.

The lines of the C128 are actually sharper than the rounded lines of the C64C,the keys of the C64C sit higher than the 128s,as for clweaning them,well I live on a dirt country road and they are both a nightmare to keep clean :wink:Which one we like better is a matter of choice and personal preference,so we will like different things and so we should Smile

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i liked the c64/128 best because it is nice and flat and the keyboard felt nicer to use. plus, it looks alot like an amiga 500!
THB
novice
novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to get my hands on a 128D or sx64 some day but until then the old faithfull brown breadbox remains my favourite. Although I have had some fun more recently with a modded DTV. Wink
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THB wrote:
Would love to get my hands on a 128D or sx64 some day but until then the old faithfull brown breadbox remains my favourite. Although I have had some fun more recently with a modded DTV. Wink

you mean a fully modded dtv with keyboard???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Crazy about Commodore! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: