retrobrad
PORTED GAMES
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Crazy about Commodore!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: PORTED GAMES Reply with quote

Back in 1984 I was facinated with the slight differences (if any) in games when played on different systems, a direct port from say C64 to an Amiga was most of the time good but not always.There were many games that were almost fully rewritten just to suit the machine,the one that comes to mind is TURRICAN. The C64 version was great and yet they managed to make an even better one on the Amiga using the extra that machine offered.

I must confess Ive seen a few direct ports from C64 over to Amiga and they seemed very ordinary.But then I did enjoy the different colour used for the same game on the various machines of the early 80s.

maybe you can recollect a certain game you played on different machnes (consoles included) maybe something you could do on one system but couldnt do on the other (2 button joystick VS joypad.......???

Smile tomz Smile

-@-Brad perhaps I should have placed this in the ''and the rest'' section as it isnt limited to just Commodore machines ?????
hmmmn Spectrum,Atari,Amstrad,Sega, Nintendo, Sony etc etc Wink
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something a little different I guess, but it's what I thought of when reading this post.

I remember picking up games in department stores and looking on the back at the screenshots. They would have C64 screenshot , AMIGA screenshot, IBM PC screenshot etc... I would have a look at the difference between them all and notice how the AMIGA was always the nicest looking graphics of them all
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also remeber back in the day like brrad is saying they would have only amiga graphics shown on some pc game boxes and they were cga versions. amazing colour (not). well the box looked great
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: PORTED GAMES Reply with quote

I loved the differences in the gfx brad, and i do remember that the Amigas gfx was so ahead of its time it was extensively used in TV commercials till around the mid 90s.Even then the Amiga was capable of competing against most of the mainstream PCs around at that time.

Astro-I agree 100%, it was a form of marketing that helped sell a few more PC versions of a game (more than they should have sold)

There were also differences in games on consoles................. Question

Smile tomz Smile

''It is better to meditate then sit around doing nothing''
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thats dodgy!

Using Amiga graphix for the PC version.

I have some Amiga magazines actually that go right up to 1999 - so Amiga was still kind of mainstream right upto 2000 just about.
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they used to do the same things in game magazines show a console game as pc and so on
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or how about when they show screenshots THAT ARENT EVEN IN THE GAME!
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i remember those as well did it alot in the later zap! mags
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading a zzap magazine tonight (from 1988)

It's funny to read the different articles, especially the letters to the editor.

It's almost as if you were back in 1988...
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: PORTED GAMES Reply with quote

I must have read each of these issues at least half a dozen times,and if I know my younger brother (who gave me most of these) he would have read them over and over again. Very Happy

And yes, you feel teleported back in time,back to a different world.....sigh

Ive lost many hours typing into my C64s most of the game/s cheat/s + various pokes and the assembler stuff as well from the various mags at the time. My kids and I got a lot of fun and laughs out of it. Laughing And I must admit 85-90 percent of the listings were acccurate, meaning they actually did what they claimed to be able to do. Wink

I also learned a lot about coding on assembler, which is the most efficient way to do stuff on C64. (Intros / Demos / Gfx Displays etc Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was reading through a big section of cheats and pokes. The thing is that now I actually understand what they are talking about!

You are just changing some variables within the game so you get more lives, or prevent you from getting hurt or more weapons. It would have been great fun to figure out these variables back in the day and change them to suit your needs.

ahh the fun...
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: PORTED GAMES Reply with quote

I used to type in many listings,with my kids. Sometimes I would type in a cheat for the fave game at that time, I rememeber my youngest Jon who altered the size of some sprites in a game he was having trouble with competing. So he just made his bullets 25% size of the screen,he only had t let off 4 shots at diffferent positions on the screen and he would kill all oppposition,I liked his reasoning, and method, until I found out that he read one of my coding articles and just used it to his advantage, stilll I was pretty stoked at the time, not only could all 3 of them play games on the C64 all o them had some sort of talent, be it cracking or hacking or gfx. Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats really cool - how old were your kids at the time?

what about games these days - can you easily just change some code to change the game? how do you input cheats in games these days?
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: PORTED GAMES Reply with quote

My kidsages ranged from the youngest being 5 then my girl was 9 and my eldest bou 11 years old,this went on for about a decade,early 90s till early this century.

Yeah to cheat in various C64 games you were basically changing some variables which you could do in Basic or Assembler code, disabling sprite collision was one of my faves.You could just walk thru the whole game and as some C64 games had several hundred levels, but the game was so hard to play that you might only ever enjoy the first 10 levels,this was handy,it also allowed you to see the endscreen of a game.

On a PC it works in a similar way, except you can do it by going into the monitor or by script sometimes. I have only managed to disable the 60 minute time limit on a few demos.this was with the help of my youngest kid who is 19 years old today.He also gave me a list of site on the net where I should try certain key words
e.g. DIR, MAIN.SVR,ADMIN and a few others
Its amazing how many sites/servers out there still do not protect themselves properly, I was able to view almost any of their sub-directories........silly in this day and age,encrypt! encrypt! encrypt Wink

With the consoles it was mostly a case of pressing certain buttons on a gamepad, in a certain order and most of thesee cheats were written into the game by the programmer, having enough forsight to realise that not everyone can play as well as another, in this way the programmer was just adding another feature to his game, a good one I might add. Smile

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you figure out what you needed to change?

Was there some kind of dissassembler that you could use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Crazy about Commodore! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: