retrobrad
How about the lesser known systems?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: How about the lesser known systems? Reply with quote

anyone remember the phillips videopac? or the jupiter ace?

you dont really hear much about these systems (well at least i dont) but they are definately worthy of a mention when it comes to video gaming history, what are some other not so well known systems you think are deserving of a bit of praise?
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad the list goes on, Neo Geo, Atari Lynx, Jaguar (Not sure who made it) all systems that didn`t do to well when it came to sales (here in the UK at least!)

It amazes me the amount of systems that fell by the wayside,it wouldn`t be possible for me to remember them all.....so brad as your clearly a nintendo fan what did you think of the Gamecube? can`t speak for the rest of the world but here in the UK it didn`t fair to well,with the xbox 360 on the market and PS3 i`ll be surprised if the Wii does well.
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a little list of all the failed consoles i can remember and the year they failed Sad :-

Atari 5200 (1982)
Sega Master System (1986)
Atari Lynx (1989)
TurboGraphx - 16 (1989)
Sega Gamegear (1986)
3DO (1994)
Sega Saturn (1995)
Nintendo Virtual Boy (1995)
Sega Dreamcast (1999)
Nintendo Gamecube (2001)
Atari Jaguar (1995)
Milton Bradley Vectrex (1984)
Atari 7800 (1987)

I`m sure some will disagree with me on this little list but i`m going by pure memory only,i got it wrong about the neo geo so i`ll retract my statement from the previous post,old grey matter ain`t as good as it used to be.
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:

It amazes me the amount of systems that fell by the wayside,it wouldn`t be possible for me to remember them all.....so brad as your clearly a nintendo fan what did you think of the Gamecube? can`t speak for the rest of the world but here in the UK it didn`t fair to well,with the xbox 360 on the market and PS3 i`ll be surprised if the Wii does well.

I think the Wii has a good chance of doing very well in the current console war. Nintendo has decided not to compete in the 'better graphics = better game war' and set new rules. You can check on the current hardware/software sales for europe at this web site. http://vgchartz.com/eweekly.php Check out all of the features of this web site this is a list of all time game sales with Super Mario at the top http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php

To get back to the main topic, Brad I have not had a chance to play the Video pac or Jupiter Ace. Has anyone seen an episode of South Park when Cartman goes to Kenny's to sleep over. There is a cool joke that implies that 'the Colecovision is a poor mans Atari'. Is it human nature to barrack for the underdog? I always seem to get behind the loser in the console wars. I loved all of Sega's consoles but the Megadrive/Genesis was the only one to be a true success for Sega. I hold a lot of love in my heart for the Arcadia, it was the first 'video game console' that I owned, my parents bought it for me (I guess it was cheeper than an Atari). I don't hold it against my parents that I got teased at school because I had an Arcadia.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grapes of gorf wrote:
Misha wrote:

I think the Wii has a good chance of doing very well in the current console war. Nintendo has decided not to compete in the 'better graphics = better game war' and set new rules. You can check on the current hardware/software sales for europe at this web site. http://vgchartz.com/eweekly.php Check out all of the features of this web site this is a list of all time game sales with Super Mario at the top http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php

To get back to the main topic, Brad I have not had a chance to play the Video pac or Jupiter Ace. Has anyone seen an episode of South Park when Cartman goes to Kenny's to sleep over. There is a cool joke that implies that 'the Colecovision is a poor mans Atari'. Is it human nature to barrack for the underdog? I always seem to get behind the loser in the console wars. I loved all of Sega's consoles but the Megadrive/Genesis was the only one to be a true success for Sega. I hold a lot of love in my heart for the Arcadia, it was the first 'video game console' that I owned, my parents bought it for me (I guess it was cheeper than an Atari). I don't hold it against my parents that I got teased at school because I had an Arcadia.

yeah i saw that episode!

it also reminds of an episode of the simpsons where they are buying computers for the school and gill is trying to sell them Coleco's =)
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen the Coleco/School episode Sad

If the South Park episode is correct and the 'Coleco is a poor mans Atari' what does that make the Arcadia?
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grapes of gorf wrote:
I have not seen the Coleco/School episode Sad

If the South Park episode is correct and the 'Coleco is a poor mans Atari' what does that make the Arcadia?

its a funny episode! heres a pic (where ralph is using the coleco)

and im not sure what it makes the arcadia - whats just below poor?
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: How about the lesser known systems Reply with quote

BRAD the word you are looking for is destitute (worse than poor?)

As for the Wii, wasnt there some sort of a pad (periphial) release just this week?

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How about the lesser known systems Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
BRAD the word you are looking for is destitute (worse than poor?)

As for the Wii, wasnt there some sort of a pad (periphial) release just this week?

Smile tomz Smile

is it like the old NES pad???
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: How about the lesser known systems Reply with quote

Not sure Brad, I have a feeling its bigger, but whether its better remains to be seen, I must add I have had nothing but good feedback regarding the Wii Smile

Smile tomz Smile
rupert
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:
Here is a little list of all the failed consoles i can remember and the year they failed Sad :-

Atari 5200 (1982)
Sega Master System (1986)
Atari Lynx (1989)
TurboGraphx - 16 (1989)
Sega Gamegear (1986)
3DO (1994)
Sega Saturn (1995)
Nintendo Virtual Boy (1995)
Sega Dreamcast (1999)
Nintendo Gamecube (2001)
Atari Jaguar (1995)
Milton Bradley Vectrex (1984)
Atari 7800 (1987)

I`m sure some will disagree with me on this little list but i`m going by pure memory only,i got it wrong about the neo geo so i`ll retract my statement from the previous post,old grey matter ain`t as good as it used to be.

WHAT??!!?? The Sega Master System did not fail! infact it totally outsold the NES in Europe.
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry rupert mate check the stats........was talking worldwide and not just Europe.

Wikipedia lists it as follows

Nes 61.79 Million Units Sold
Mastersystem 13 Million Units Sold

don`t worry i was surprised and a big SEGA fan but i can`t agrue with the facts and i did say that i was sure some would not agree with me.

I noticed your a collector of the mastersystem and earlier SEGA systems,just wondered if you had a SG 1000 in your collection as it was SEGA`s first console.
jungle ninja
novice
novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Never knew there where so many systems, I am learning here people! Very Happy
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: How about the lesser known systems Reply with quote

The C64 was released in console form also, that was a flop sadly... Crying or Very sad

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How about the lesser known systems Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
The C64 was released in console form also, that was a flop sadly... Crying or Very sad

Smile tomz Smile

yep your right!

you can read up on it in the console info section!

-brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> And the rest... All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: